Default Fighting Red Light Camera Ticket in New Jersey

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: new jersey
    the violation date was august 11, the court date sept 11, and I got the violation notice on October 11. Is there any constraints on the courts as to proper service??

also, based on the photo time stamps and video, I arrived at the stop line just as the light turned red (0.16 seconds) and was traveling 22mph and was not on the brakes. the next photo was 0.79 seconds later and I was about 10 feet over the line (average speed 9mph) and I was on my brakes. the video shows my truck jerking a little like I was on and then off the brakes and I'm sure that once I was 10 feet over the line when I realized it turned red, I decided it safer to progress through than skid through.

any ideas for fighting the ticket? any cases to reference? what about requesting discovery?

Default Re: Fighting Red Light Camera Ticket in New Jersey

The yellow light is your warning the light is going to turn red. It's not supposed to be a surprise to you. The photos seem to indicate your guilt. What grounds do you think you have to contest it?

I was texting, lighting a cigarette, eating a sandwich, changing the radio station, and fixing my make-up so I didn't see the yellow light through the trucks that were ahead of me as I was also changing lanes. Oh, I don't know! but from the video it looks like the light changed as I hit the intersection and I probably thought I would make it through before it turned red and didn't want to stomp on my brakes to stop when I saw the yellow. I don't know, I'm here for help. I think the machine set up to catch people .16 seconds after the light turns is just plain wrong. they're gouging us. HELP!

What part of "the yellow is your warning" do you not follow? If you are driving within the speed limits and avoid trying to beat the red on the yellow, you won't be entering the intersection on the red.

There is some amount of argument about short duration yellows and you can try that, but I don't give you much hope even if it was only a 3 second yellow.

you flyingron, and some others here come off a little pompous as if you get some sort of joy out of feeling like a superior lawyer wanna be. I go to court to stay out of trouble and get out of trouble weather I'm right or wrong. much like the way a defense atty does his best to defend. most people that post looking for help on getting out of trouble are not looking to be chided. I still have parents and they don't even chide me. and if someone in the street has attitude with me, I'll usually tell them to pound salt.

simply put for anyone else out there, when traveling the speed limit (and their photo says I was doing 22mph in a 35moh zone), when confronted with a yellow light, you make a simple decision: go or stop. and your decision depends on where you are when you see the light, how fast you are going, and how much time you have to stop. if a cop sees you hit the stop line blazing or accelerating when it turns red, he might ticket you but if you are traveling a reasonable speed, they might assume you were doing your best to drive safe.

anyone out there beat a red light camera ticket?

This again?

Why do the law enforcement officers feel so compelled to demand that people plead guilty if they are guilty?!?! Let the state prove their case.

Gary- if the yellow was long enough (here in CA the state has specific minimum yellow times) then you can be cited for 0.0000001 of 'time after red'. You hesitated, you saw it late, you made a mental error- whatever, that is what happen.

Lots of posts on fighting red light camera tickets, they get highly technical and require much effort. Do you have it in you? It is not a "say this magic word" deal. Read up, google, Highwayrobbery.net etc etc

I told you how to challenge it, but I don't give you much hope.
    The only issue with my opinion was to counter your massive chip on the shoulder, thesystem is out to get me when if fact it's your callous disregard for traffic safety that got you into this mess to begin with.

And if you don't like the dose of reality, grab $400 and ask a lawyer for the same advice.

cases: see Khlad I think its a CA case .. but it may work in NJ .. will depend on the judge (unless NJ already has such a decision -- chk on google scholar)

1. Sponsored Links