Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is It Illegal to Insult a Police Officer

Is it illegal to insult a police officer? Like if you call him a pig or an asshole?

Default Re: Is It Illegal to Insult an Officer

No, but it's not the smartest thing in the world to do, either.

In case you've not looked lately, dudes have guns. And billy clubs. And tasers.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    No, but it's not the smartest thing in the world to do, either.

In case you've not looked lately, dudes have guns. And billy clubs. And tasers.
    And no matter how much you think tasers hurt, they hurt more. Let me put it this way, you want to have gone to the bathroom BEFORE the tasing... because you won't have to go to the bathroom after.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Quoting mark80
    View Post
    Is it illegal to insult a police officer? Like if you call him a pig or an asshole?
    While it is not illegal, it is not always wise to attract attention to yourself. If you do, make sure that you are sober, are not standing anywhere that MIGHT be seen as a violation of a state or local law, and be certain that you have no warrants for your arrest. Plus, if you do it by walking up to the officer or making it difficult for him to do his job, you can almost certainly expect to meet the officer personally as he or his friend cuffs you.

If you feel this very strong urge to cast insults at the police, perhaps you need to seek some sort of therapy.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Quote Quoting mark80
    View Post
    No. My cousin helped get that remedied many years ago when he went "oink oink oink" to a cop and got arrested. Freedom of speech protects a lot of speech...

but there are limitations.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    No. My cousin helped get that remedied many years ago when he went "oink oink oink" to a cop and got arrested. Freedom of speech protects a lot of speech...

Maybe he actually said he looks like Doink the Clown.

Oh no. There was no question what he said, especially after he reiterated for the arresting officer. If there was any chance of escaping the ensuing legal battle by claiming a misheard statement, he removed that possibility quite quickly and quite clearly. If I didn't know better, I would say it was an intentional act to make a case but I know he wasn't smart enough nor committed enough to be taking such action.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post

What was the case and do you happen to have a URL for a good discussion on it?

It was a joke jk, Doink the Clown is a wrestler, ya know, '"doink" , "oink".

Sure wouldn't be the smartest thing to do...my first thought was you'd get arrested for "disorderly conduct", that seems to be the blanket charge used when nothing else applies and things haven't elevated yet.....I guess technically, if you remember last year(?) Obama called that Boston cop "Stupid" ....incident about cops arresting some black Harvard professor in his own home...lol ..Later though Obama had the cop and the professor over for a beer, now that cop could've arrested Obama for calling him "stupid"...the charges might not have stuck though

I always tell my loved-ones to be respectful and courteous, there are cops out there that like to hurt people, plenty of videos on YT ...Thankfully I'm of the opinion they are the minority

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast