Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Father Demands DNA Test During Pregnancy

hello, im in a really tough situation. Me and a guy that i've meet online had a very casual relationship which in the end resulted in me getting pregnant. He strongly believes that the baby is not his, so i offered him a paternity test once the child was born, but he insist on me gettin one now and the risk in having one of these test are very high in miscarriages. I've explained eveything to him, but he still wants one done. Also, he has clearly stated that he wants nothing to do with the child, but he wants to speak to my Doctor for several reasons, which i will not allow for the fact he wants nothing to do with the baby. Now is there anything he can do legally to get my records, and he if he wants nothing to do with the baby what can i do about child support? please help

Default Re: what should i do.

Hi,

I'm not a lawyer, or someone who knows much about your situation, but I think you should lay down the rules for this man.

It is your body, and I'm almost positive that he doesn't have any rights for going to appointments or speaking with you doctor during prenatal care. I believe that when they test for paternity during pregnancy, it is through an amnio, correct? Well I know that there are risks when having an amnio done, and he doesn't have the right to make that decision for you, so stick to your guns and don't have it done.

Wait until you have the baby to have the paternity test. If he refuses to have it done after the baby is born, take him to court, and the court will probably make him get one with the baby, and then you can fight him for child support.

I'm sure that someone else on this forum could help you more, but I felt the need to put in my two cents.

Arrow Re: what should i do.

thanks, he is making this very hard for me. he wants nothing to do with the baby (all he wants to know is if the baby is his) and i feel i shouldnt have to explain anything or give him any rights to my personal info

State laws vary. What state are you in?

He has absolutely no right to your medical records. If you want support, whether or not he wants anything to do with the child, you can initiate paternity proceedings once the child is born and the court will order a DNA test. With paternity established, a court can order the father to pay child support (and can resolve any issue of custody or parenting time the parties raise).

Question Re: Father Demands DNA Test During Pregnancy

I'm in New Jersey, he has also stated that he will get a lawyer to get ahold of my records, i dont believe that is possible, unless he is admittting paternity. I would give him al access to my records if he truely wanted to be involved, but since he dont, I feel he needs no info what so ever. Is there anything i could to stop him?

Default Re: Father Demands DNA Test During Pregnancy

He has no right to access your medical records.

Question Re: Father Demands DNA Test During Pregnancy

And i dont want anything to do with this man, im also planning on moving out of state,, once the baby is born can he sue for a paternity test? I just dont want contact any more with this guy.

He can initiate a paternity action to gain parental rights.

thanks for everyones help,, it has lifted alot of stress from me,,, thanks all

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast