Question What Happens if You Exclude Your Child From Car Insurance But Let Him Drive Anyway

My question involves insurance law for the state of: Louisiana
    Can a parent exclude a child because they want their rates to go down and still allow the child to drive? If the child is in an accident and they are at fault what type of penalty will they face? I was unaware that excluding a person was allowable because most states require that every vehicle on the roads MUST be insured. So, what rights do people have when hit and injured by someone who is allow to drive the excluded vehicle?

Default Re: What Happens if You Exclude Your Child From Car Insurance But Let Him Drive Anywa

Quote Quoting Unaware
    View Post
    My question involves insurance law for the state of: Louisiana
    Can a parent exclude a child because they want their rates to go down and still allow the child to drive? If the child is in an accident and they are at fault what type of penalty will they face? I was unaware that excluding a person was allowable because most states require that every vehicle on the roads MUST be insured. So, what rights do people have when hit and injured by someone who is allow to drive the excluded vehicle?
    well, if an excluded person is allowed to drive the car, there is no insurance coverage, period. You will be considered to legally have insurance but in reality, you will have no coverage.

and if you allowed the excluded person to drive, not only will the driver be liable for any damages they cause, you will as well as you are the party that owns the car and allowed the person to drive knowing there is no insurance coverage.

In the end, it can be very expensive for both the driver and owner of the car.

Default Re: What Happens if You Exclude Your Child From Car Insurance But Let Him Drive Anywa

Speaking of this, is there a way to find out if the person you were involved in an accident with is actually on policy for the car they were driving? an insurance company is trying to deny responsibility but I am not even sure if the driver(son) was on his parents policy.

It really doesn't make any difference. If the insurance company denies liability for any reason, your have the right to sue the liable party for your damages. If the person actually excluded, the insurance company won't lift a finger to help them.

I should have been clearly when I first asked about excluded drivers. My daughter was in an accident and was rear ended. She was pushed into the car in front of her. He was cited and she was cited. The person who hit my child had an expired proof of insurance and called his mother to bring the new one. She had to come from another town nearby. Did not know that was legal. It looked as though the car was insured by was not. Reported accident to their insurance co. and was told we would get a call within 24 hrs. No one called, left many messages with ins. co. Decided to send email, ention attorney and 10 minutes later calls were coming in. Denial letter made that day, faxed to us, and told sorry driver is excluded, use your insurance. Parent knew this and that is breaking the law. Can my insurance sue all of them? Driver, owner and insurance company.

if your insurance company pays for your damages that the kid that hit should be liable for, yes, they can sue the driver and the owner of that car. Their insurance company didn't have anything to do with this so there is no reason to sue them.

The problem with your accident is that you will have to pay your deductible and once your insurance company sues the owner and driver of the car for the money they paid out your insurance company will send you a check for your deductible that you already paid. This can take a year or longer.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. I have been doing so much research on this. We have medical bills attached to this claim. My daughter needs to go and see her dr because she is still having problems. I know we have uninsured motorist but there are limits on it for medical expenses. I really feel when this is all said and done, we may see some of the money back in years to come. I will check into why excluded drivers are not named on proof of insurance cards. This will help keep the law of having to have insurance. Stopped for any type of violation the driver is excluded, pull the tag, revoke the license, tow the vehicle and have the owner cited. Sounds a little harse but, I pay for insurance, so should the rest.

1. Sponsored Links