Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can You Collect Unemployment After Disability Insurance Runs Out

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CA

I was wondering if anybody new the answer to this question? Could I collect unemployment insurance after my disability insurance runs out? I was out of work for some months because of health problems, then I went back to work part time and collected part time disability, then I was laid off back in May 2010, which it put me back in full time disability. Ive been with full time disability since May but my disability insurance is running out in a month. My question is, am I eligible to get unemployment when my doctor clears me out to go back to work? Or because I used all my disability insurance money then I wont be able to qualify to unemployment?

Thanks for your help.

Monina

Default Re: Can You Collect Unemployment After Disability Insurance Runs Out

Unemployment and state disability benefits are funded separately, so your having used the limit of your disability benefits would not in itself disqualify you for benefits.

However, depending on how long you have been out of work, it is *possible* that you may not have the requisite wages to financially qualify for UI. You absolutely can apply; there is no penalty for being wrong and it doesn't cost anything. The worst they can say is no, and in that case, you're no worse off than if you didn't apply in the first place. It's absolutely worth trying, even if we can't give you a definite answer.

Disability benefits are not subject wages for purposes of unemployment insurance financial eligibility,

In the last 18 months, how many months were you receiving disability with no work at all?

One thing I don't understand, if you were laid off in May, why didn't you flip over to unemployment benefits then?

Thanks so much for the quick responses.

Patty, regarding your question: I was six months pregnant and had complications at the end of September 2009 so the doctor put me in bed rest. I was at the hospital for two weeks and I lost the babies (I was expecting twins). I went into a major depression and post traumatic stress disorder that is why I was out until March 2010 when I tried to go back to work slowly starting part time and increasing hours every week but after a month or so they laid me off. That made my depression and panic attacks even worse and I wasn't mentally ready to start looking for a new job. I am doing a lot to get better and I am hopping to be able to start working again by the end of this year or beginning of next year. It is hard to tell exactly when but I working very hard in my recovery.

I would like to know if I would be able to qualify for unemployment when I feel ready to go back to work. I have friends that have been looking for a job for a while now and they told me that it is tough to find a job in this economy. Do you think that I would be able to qualify for unemployment? Is there a time limit to apply and get approved?

Thank you,

There are two prongs to the eligibilty fork. I have no question that you would qualify for unemployment on the second prong; you lost your job through no fault of your own.

However, if you have been out for almost a year, you may not qualify on the first prong; that is financial qualification. In order to qualify, you must have earned xx wages within the past five quarters. Disability payments do NOT count. If you do not qualify on the first prong, it doesn't matter whether you qualify on the second prong or not.

As I said, you can only apply. If you apply, you may get benefits and you may not. If you don't apply, you definitely will not.

Thank you. Do you know what is the amount of wages that I needed to earn in the past five quarters in order to qualify? Does that mean that I have to apply before the end of the year in order to qualify since I was out since last Sept 2009 and I only worked part time in March 2010 before they laid me off.

I don't know what it is in your state, no. Are you saying that since September of '09 the only WAGES you have earned (remember, disability payments do not count) have been part time for the month of March?

Yes, the only wages I had since Sept 2009 were Part time for two months in March and April and a severance package (two extra months) that I don't know if it counts. thanks.

Did you read the publication from the link I provided?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast