Default How Long Does Extradition Take

My question involves criminal law for the state of: NY and CT

Good Morning-
    Currently my boyfriend is in CT on an inter-state parole compact from NY. On September 8, 2010 he was arrested for Assault in the 3rd, Breach of Peace 2nd, and Resisting Arrest. The Assault charge and Breach of Peace charge were dropped, and he was found guilty of the Resisting arrest.
    His parole officer in CT said all he can do is make a recommendation for NY to come get him. I am wondering how long NY has to come get him if they choose to do so. I am looking for any time lines that apply to the requesting process from his parole officer in CT to his parole officer in NY. Or anything of the sort.
    Thank You So Much for your help!

Default Re: How Long Does Extradition Take

If you mean, is there a time limit for New York to make a request to extradite him, no there is not. As long as he remains a fugitive they can initiate extradition proceedings. Once an extradition request is made, time limits can come into play requiring that the state requesting extradition act with reasonable diligence.

Default Re: How Long Does Extradition Take

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If you mean, is there a time limit for New York to make a request to extradite him, no there is not. As long as he remains a fugitive they can initiate extradition proceedings. Once an extradition request is made, time limits can come into play requiring that the state requesting extradition act with reasonable diligence.
    Thank you for the timely response!!!!
    His parole officer in CT, he is in a CT jail right now, says all he can do is request that NY comes to get him. I had heard that once the request from CT is made to NY that there is a 30 day time limit for them to come get him from the date of request. NY wasn't asking for him back. Is there a time limit that, you know of, where NY doesn't have the "right" (for lack of better words) to come get him?
    I tried googling the question, and it had said something bout 10 days to make the request, and 10 days to respond, and then 30 days to ""act" on the request. Sorry if Im not making it clear. Im trying....
    Thanx again!!!!

1. Sponsored Links