Default Getting License Back After Getting A DUI Years Ago

In 1999 I received a DUI and about 3months later I received a ticket for driving without a license in Ohio.I have 2 bench warrants out in OHio. I have not had my driver’s licenses since then. I now live in South Carolina and want to get my drivers license. If I go to the DMV will I get arrested? Would you recommend getting a lawyer?

Default Re: DUI in ohio years ago want to get license back

It sounds like there may be a failure to appear if you haven't done anything regarding your DUI case in Ohio. There almost assuredly is if you did not show up and that probably is the reason your license is suspended. Yes, I would say you need a lawyer to get out of this jam. You could contact the court where the DUI is to find out the status of that charge and check with the DMV re your driving record to find out what has your license suspended.

You're not going to be arrested at the South Carolina DMV, but if you complete your application honestly you also won't get a license. (And even if you fudge some details, which may be a criminal offense, they'll suspend any license they issue once they learn of the Ohio suspension.)

Here is the deal. My licenses was suspended for year that year is up I had to go to a 3 day alcohol class that I paid for but did not attend due to work. I went to all my court dates for the DUI. When I was pulled over for driving without a license, I went to my court date. I was told I would need to pay the reinstatement fee which I did not due because I did not have they cash. I had another court date for that and did not go.
    If I would go get my license in SC I don’t think they would be able to do anything with it being a traffic violation. IF the did they would have to expedite be back to Ohio (right?)
    I have contact the court in Ohio and they where no help at all. I just need to know how to get this cleaned up it’s been almost 7 years. Is there a statue of Limitations??

Looking forward to your information

The only thing left in Ohio is your need to pay a reinstatement fee? Or is there also a probation violation? Either way, extradition would be extremely unlikely.

There's no statute of limitations on reinstatement fees.

I went to all my court dates for the DUI I did not go to the 3-day alcohol class (that I paid for) I did missed my 2nd court date for driving with out a license. (Went to one missed the 2nd one)
    So I have a warrant for not going to the alcohol class and one for missing court for driving with out a license.
    All Fines have been paid. I was going to pay the reinstatement fee but I am not getting an Ohio license I am getting a SC License. Should I still pay the reinstatement fee in Ohio??

Thanks so much for your replies and help

Only Ohio can reinstate your Ohio license.

1. Sponsored Links