Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Warrant for Probation Violation in Georgia

My question involves an arrest warrant from the State of: GA
    Hello, I have a question, I (may) have an arrest warrant in the state of Georgia for a probation violation (if I don't have one now, I will soon) I'm currently on probation but I haven't reported in roughly 9 months (hence the if not now soon part). I'm wondering if when a state (mainly GA since that is the one I'm involved with) issues a warrant for something like this will they "hunt" you down or will they just basically sit and wait for you to be stopped for a traffic violation or to have a wreck or to be arrested for something else? Just some more background info. I don't live in the same city where I was arrested, and I don't have any contact with anyone (friends or family etc...) from there anymore, I've separated myself from all of them. I do live in Georgia still, just not in the same city. I would really appreciate some educated insight on this. Thanks in advance for any input anyone can give.

Question Probation Violation in Georgia

My question involves criminal law for the state of: GA
    I originally posted this in another section (sorry, just learning...) so here goes...
    My question involves an arrest warrant from the State of: GA
    Hello, I have a question, I (may) have an arrest warrant in the state of Georgia for a probation violation (if I don't have one now, I will soon) I'm currently on probation for a felony theft charge but I haven't reported in roughly 9 months (hence the if not now soon part). I'm wondering if when a state (mainly GA since that is the one I'm involved with) issues a warrant for something like this will they "hunt" you down or will they just basically sit and wait for you to be stopped for a traffic violation or to have a wreck or to be arrested for something else? Just some more background info. I don't live in the same city where I was arrested, and I don't have any contact with anyone (friends or family etc...) from there anymore, I've separated myself from all of them. I do live in Georgia still, just not in the same city. I would really appreciate some educated insight on this. Thanks in advance for any input anyone can give.

Default Re: Warrant for Probation Violation in Georgia

Normally, for a probation violation they will not "hunt" you down unless you were convicted of a serious crime. Finding you won't be too hard though unless you've gone off the grid. If you work, there is a record of you being paid which they could get without too much trouble. Why not just turn yourself in and take care of it?

Well my crime wasn't violent, it was a felony theft charge and I would just go ahead and turn myself in and deal with it but you see I'm pregnant with my first child and I'd just absolutely never forgive myself if I had to have this baby while in jail or go to jail shortly after having the baby. See why I'm worrying so much? And stressing so much? The doc told me today that I was going to have to settle myself down some but I'm a natural worrier! I do work but my corporate office isn't in Georgia but other than that I am pretty much off the grid so to speak. I was just "hoping" that maybe this would be one of those situations I'd heard about where they wouldn't really even look for me (I've heard people say they've lived in the same house and never got picked up) so I could quit worrying.

They may not look for you but you risk arrest anytime you are pulled over. It might slide if you lived out of state but intra-state warrants, unless you are far far away, often end with the wanted person going to jail and getting taken back to face their original charges. The longer you wait to clear it up, the greater the chance of jail time on both your original charge AND the violation of probation.

Just cause you're corporate office is elsewhere doesn't mean a record doesn't exist...you pay state income taxes don't you? You file your tax returns? There are a lot of ways they can find you.

I knew I was at risk if I were ever to be pulled over or in a wreck or anything like that. I was just wondering if (in general) they actually went looking for people. And actually no, last year I didn't have to file income taxes and I probably won't have to this year either because I don't make enough, I only work VERY part time and unless you make something like $3500/year they don't require you file (which was news to me since I'd always made more than that until last year) but I'm sure there are still ways they could find me if they really tried. I'm just hoping, for my baby's sake, maybe they won't try too hard.

Does anyone else have any insight on this? I'm seriously about to worry myself silly about all of this... I'd just like to know if its likely they are going to actively search and look for me or if they will just sort of wait for me to make some sort of mistake. Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't it just be easier to report rather than being an absconder and worrying yourself to death?

Yes, it would have been, 9 months ago when I stopped going. At that time I didn't have a job and the P.O. that I had at the time was threatning to have me put back in jail because I couldn't pay my fines because of me not having a job (seriously I was living with a friend, didn't have a car, a phone, NOTHING and no one to borrow any money from) so I was scared to death that if I reported another month to him he was going to make good on his threat and send me back to jail (I had a nervous breakdown in jail, bad enough that they had to take me to the hospital) so that is why I ran then. So now that I'm pregnant and facing that again you can imagine how scared I am. Things are a little more stable for me now, I do have a roof over my head and food to eat. But it has been 9 months so reporting now isn't an option.

Why isn't it an option. You're most likely going to jail anyhow. If you voluntarily report, you have the ability to do it on your terms.
    Despite threats, people don't get put in jail because they are unemployed alone.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast