Default Caught Stealing From My Employer

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan.

I worked at a retail store in michigan. I stole some things and admitted that i had to LP. They never said how much they had thought i had stolen. But they asked me to guess and i said 10 items, which he said would average to $340. After he called HR, they told me i was under arrest. The police showed up, made sure they had all of my information and said that they would call me and i an turn myself in. The store had told me that i would return the things and also pay for them. I still have not recieved a phone call from the police two days later. I am a 21 year old college student on my last year. I have never been in trouble with the law... not even a speeding ticket. I know nothing about the legal system. What are the chances that i am going to be placed in jail?
    I also cannot afford a lawyer.

Default Re: Caught Stealing From My Employer

Jail...slim chance.

No idea how long until police will call - depends on their caseload.

When you go to court, plead Not Guilty and ask for a public defender.

Expect court costs, fines, a few hundred for the public defender. You might set some money aside in case you get probation, community service, or an anti-shoplifting class, as neither of those are free.

A Civil Demand letter will be arriving in the mail. Pay this. This is separate from the criminal case.

In addition, Do not talk to the police or prosecutor without an attorney.

If i ask for a public defender they will just give me one? And what do i do with the merchandise that i am supposed to return? I dont even know if they have any evidence against me. I think someone just told on me. But they acted like they had a lot. and they might.
    Also. If I do end up being sentenced will jail time is there anyway that they have like a school release. I knew this one kid that was on work release and was allowed to work at applebees. Will they let me continue with college?
    And how long will this stay on my record?

Quote Quoting helpwouldbegreat
    View Post
    If i ask for a public defender they will just give me one?
    If you are charged or being questioned in custody they will start the process to determine if see if you sufficiently indigent to qualify.

I'd also remove this employer from your resume. Let's face it, if a potential future employer asks "Would you hire (your name" again?", the answer is going to be a resounding "NO!".

Also, you will not qualify for Unemployment, as you were fired for theft.

Caveat: If you were with this employer for longer than about three months at most, leaving the employer off will not do a whole lot of good as you can guarantee that a prospective employer will ask what you were doing during that time. And if you lie about it and get caught (which is much easier than you might imagine) that's called falsification of your application and is grounds for immediate termination/putting your application in the permanent do-not-hire pile.

Quote Quoting helpwouldbegreat
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan.

I worked at a retail store in michigan. I stole some things and admitted that i had to LP. They never said how much they had thought i had stolen. But they asked me to guess and i said 10 items, which he said would average to $340. After he called HR, they told me i was under arrest. The police showed up, made sure they had all of my information and said that they would call me and i an turn myself in. The store had told me that i would return the things and also pay for them. I still have not recieved a phone call from the police two days later. I am a 21 year old college student on my last year. I have never been in trouble with the law... not even a speeding ticket. I know nothing about the legal system. What are the chances that i am going to be placed in jail?
    I also cannot afford a lawyer.
    They may try you for every thing that was stolen out of the store since you worked there, since you admitted to it. I would guess that others at the store have been stealing too so get ready for a nice felony theft charge. I don't know about avoiding jail time & if so, you can forget any time off for school. You cannot afford an attorney? Sell your car to get this money.

Y'all are failin' to mention that a conviction WILL show on a background check.......which is/are more the rule than the exception during pre-employment screenings anymore.
    "Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death.
    There is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically without pity."
    Robert A. Heinlein

1. Sponsored Links