Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can New York Legally Issue Missing Front Plate Ticket to Out-Of-State Driver

My question involves vehicle maintenance laws for the State of: NY

I was pulled over and cited traffic infraction code 402.1 for missing front plate in NY. My car is registered in CT. I never got pulled over in CT for missing front plate. Can NY cop legally enforcing laws from out of state?

The NY VAT law implies section 402.1 is applicable only to NY registered vehicle. Otherwise, NY commissioner would have to issue plates to every car from out of state.

§ 402. Distinctive number; form of number plates; trailers.
    1. (a) No
    person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public
    highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive
    number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates
    issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter
    if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration
    conspicuously displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of such
    vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging
    and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight
    inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground; provided,
    however, that in any registration year for which only one number plate
    is issued, such number plate shall constitute a set of number plates for
    the time in which such use is authorized, shall be displayed on the rear
    of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its front, except in case
    of a tractor, when such number plate shall be displayed on the front of
    the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its rear.

Default Re: Can New York Legally Issue Missing Front Plate Ticket to Out-Of-State Driver

does CT require a front plate?

Default Re: Can New York Legally Issue Missing Front Plate Ticket to Out-Of-State Driver

VAT 250 says the rest of the VAT code doesn't apply to vehicles belonging to non-residents provided they properly display the out of state registration numbers.

So, since CT now requires two plates, if you don't display both of them in NY, you lose your non-resident exemption.

Thanks!

In the future, I would avoid going through upstate NY by all means. The small towns along 87 may be able to extract some revenue from the passing tourist. But the communities suffer from losing business in the long run. Perhaps that's why they resort to traffic cop for revenue.

I look forward to the day when the cops will serve and protect instead of extort and harass...

On the topic...Did you ever put the front plate on your car since it's required in your state? If you don't give us a reason to stop you we woln't.

Quote Quoting frontplate
    View Post
    I look forward to the day when the cops will serve and protect instead of extort and harass...
    If by extort and harass you mean enforce the law, then I hope they continue to perform that aspect of their duty!

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    If by extort and harass you mean enforce the law, then I hope they continue to perform that aspect of their duty!
    It is simply amazing how many people consider the police enforcing simple laws as harassment when it would be so simple to avoid the interaction by just complying with the law.

I guess when I think I am above the law, I will feel the same way when getting stopped for some simple breach such as refusing to put a plate on my car.

My point was that I have been driving in my home state for a year without a front license plate and I never got pulled over. I passed at least 10 officers each day. I frequent NY city as well, no problems there either.

The upstate NY officer who pulled me over told me that they needed to see the front license plate to check if the car was stolen or not. But in reality, the front license plate provides an excellent spot for their laser guns.

This front license plate law is all about money, zero about protecting citizen. That topic was covered extensively in the other threads. However, NY policemen monetize on foreign state vehicles was a first on this forum.

I appreciating many officers enforcing the good laws to protect our citizens/tax payers. But it is a shame for the police to get involved in the money sucking schemes created by the local townships.

Last, if every law were just then we would not need the congress and politicians. Because there is always going to be unjust in the legal system, we shall continue to fight. Thanks to that NY officer, who is young, sincere and professional, I am now a firm no-front-plater. I will fight until this law is repealed. By that time, that NY officer probably would rise through the ranks and some new young officer would be doing the ticket writing quota for that town.

If the founding fathers simply comply with King George and pay their taxes, then we won't be here in the place called USA.

What makes you think the politicians would stop after everyone has complied with the front license plate laws? They will simply create new laws to get new revenue.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    It is simply amazing how many people consider the police enforcing simple laws as harassment when it would be so simple to avoid the interaction by just complying with the law.

I guess when I think I am above the law, I will feel the same way when getting stopped for some simple breach such as refusing to put a plate on my car.

so, since you want to be a political activist, understand you will have to suffer the consequences. That is how political reform progresses.

best of luck to you.

and just because your home state hasn't stopped you in the last year for not having a front plate, there is nothing from them stopping you every time they see you without a front plate and it will be completely legal.

Quote Quoting frontplate
    View Post
    I am now a firm no-front-plater. I will fight until this law is repealed.
    And therein lies YOUR problem... You ought to consider contacting the CT/NY state legislature in an effort to have the law repealed first; if and when it is, you can celebrate the fruits of your labor by displaying only one plate.

Until then, don't complain about contributing to what you refer to as "money sucking schemes".

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast