Default Michigan Recreational Trespassing

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

A few friends and I were going fishing about a month ago in an old gravel pit. We always went back at night after we got off of work and never noticed any trespassing signs. We ended up going back one day during daylight and didn't even think to look for signs. We drove through an entrance that was through a ditch. Long story short it was posted and we all got tickets. It was posted, signs were on every telephone pole but faded. It was posted though.

Anyways, i've gone through arraignment and told the judge i wanted to plead guilty, he told me it wasn't a good idea and put me down for not guilty. My question is, what happens at the Pretrial date. I have never been in any trouble before and have a clean record. Can anyone give me any advice? I'd like to get away from this with nothing on my record. How many more trials do i have? I just started college so i can't miss too much school.

Default Re: Michigan Recreational Trespassing

I'd like to get away from this with nothing on my record.
    then pleading guilty would be the last thing you would want to do.

How old are you?

i'm 18. i know nothing about law. i just thought that pleading guilty meant that you did it. and not guilty meant you didnt. i thought my court date was gonna be a 1 day thing and i could pay that day and be done with it.

it can work that way but if you want to minimize the damage to your record, that isn't the way to do it.

penalty for recreational trespassing

1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person who violates this part is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not less than $100.00 or more than $500.00, or both.
    there are means available to you that would allow you to deal with this and not result with a criminal record. You should consult an attorney who can provide you with all of your options.

the judge was trying to save you from yourself.

if you cannot afford an attorney, you might qualify for a public defender. That is something you can ask the court at your next hearing.

my cousin who was with us got a lawyer. so i'm probably going to go with the same one. 250 dollars to defend me. does that sound right?

sounds very inexpensive, maybe too much so. Maybe he is aware of a way out that will not take up too much of his time. Be sure to understand whatever happens as well as you can.

he's helped my cousin before. i'm just not sure if i should pursue a lawyer or what. i have no idea what i'm doing, or how to get an appointment with the prosecutor to ask for a lesser sentence.

Quote Quoting Dannn
    View Post
    he's helped my cousin before. i'm just not sure if i should pursue a lawyer or what. i have no idea what i'm doing, or how to get an appointment with the prosecutor to ask for a lesser sentence.
    because of this:

. i have no idea what i'm doing
    do you really need to ask this question?

i'm just not sure if i should pursue a lawyer or what

1. Sponsored Links