Default Ebay Item Not Received - Ebay Refusing to Issue Refund

I purchased a professional reel to reel tape recorder on Ebay for $296 plus $79 for shipping. I paid in full on 8/27/10. The item was shipped on 8/30/10 and was secheduled to arrive on 8/31/10.

The item never arrived, and I was told by Fed Ex that it was because the shipper did not include the correct APT# and they could not locate me, so the item was being sent back to the shipper.

The estimated delivery date was 4-9 business, and ebay's website says that if an item has not been recieved by that time, 3 days after, an "Item Not Received" case can be opened and a refund will be issued.

So I waited that amount of time for either the item to arrive or the seller to contact me, and neither happened, so I opened a case on 9/13/10.

Well, immediatley after opening the case, the seller came forward and said that Fed Ex still had my package, but they had been attempting to deliver it to the wrong address this whole time because of the incorrect address, and now that he's given them the correct address, they will re-deliver it to me tomorrow.

Ebay took his side and he won the case, and they released the money to him, and ebay is refusing to issue me a refund, saying that I will need to either arrange to be home to get the item, or arrange to pick it up. It is located about 20 miles away and weighs about 80lbs. I didn't pay $80 to have to drive 20 miles and carry an 80lb package up three fights of stairs to my apartment, nor do I even have transportation to get there to even pick it up.

The other problem is I work all day, and will not be able to be home to get it when they re-deliver either. I recently moved to a new city and don;t know anyone well enough to trust them signing for my $400 package.

I undertstand its my resonsibility to be home to receive the item, but as far as I'm concerned that responsibility is only valid within the promised delivery date of 4-9 business days.

If I knew ahead of time that the estimated delivery date was 19 days, there's no way I would've purchased it, because I knew that I wouldn't be able to be home at that time to receive it.

I purchased it knowing that I could be home to receive it within the estimated delivery date. Its his fault that the address was wrong, and that it is now a week late, and now I can't be home to receive it anymore.

Fed Ex will only hold the package for like a week and then return it to him.

I asked ebay then would he get to keep my money and his item and they said no, but refused to tell me would happen at that point otherwise, and just said to do whatever I can to obtain the item from Fed Ex somehow.

I know I'm not going to be able to get that item before they send it back to him, so what are my chances of getting my money back eventually from ebay or the seller, once he has the item back?

Is it still my responsibility to arrange to get the item even though its past the promised delivery date?

Will I then have to pay shipping again for him to send the item back again, now altogether over a month after sending payment?

I feel like I did nothing wrong and it was his fault for messing up the address on the shipping label, yet he gets my money, and I may never get the item. Why am I the one being punished?

I apologize for the extremely long post, but I am just very frustrated over this situation, and needed some place to vent, and hopefully someone can offer some advice.

Thanks

Default Re: Ebay Item Not Received - Ebay Refusing to Issue Refund

Your best and only bet is to call FedEx and set up a day and time to receive the package or ask a neighbor or the superintendent of the building to sign for it.

You have so many days to claim the package from FedEx or they will ship the package back to the seller and the seller has two options, refund your purchase price minus the shipping charge or keep the package until you pay for the new shipping charges to get the package back to you, it all depends on the sellers terms and conditions.

Or pick it up at the FedEx office.

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    Your best and only bet is to call FedEx and set up a day and time to receive the package or ask a neighbor or the superintendent of the building to sign for it.

You have so many days to claim the package from FedEx or they will ship the package back to the seller and the seller has two options, refund your purchase price minus the shipping charge or keep the package until you pay for the new shipping charges to get the package back to you, it all depends on the sellers terms and conditions.
    Thanks.

The seller is definitely not going to give me a refund, if he has the option not to, he's already made that clear.

So, if it gets sent back to him, then he gets to keep it, until I am willing to pay for shipping again to have it sent back?

In that case, I'd be better off paying for a cab to pick it up at the fed ex office.

Do you think I could get at least a partial refund back for original shipping, if I have to pick it up, considering it was his fault that it never actually got delievered to me?

Shouldn't he be responsible for some part of this, it was his mistake that the address was wrong, and it never got delivered. Not Fed Ex's, or mine, yet he gets off scott free. Meanwhile Fed Ex has gone way over their normal delivery attempts, all to the wrong address. And now I have to pick it up.

It seems like this is all his fault, yet everybody else has to go out of their way, but him.

Im going to call ebay and find out if I can get a refund for shipping, then I can use that money to take a cab there to pick it up I guess.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Or pick it up at the FedEx office.
    Yeah, they aren't delivering it anymore because they used up all their attempts on the wrong address, and say its the shippers fault not theirs.

So, my only option is to pick it up, but I don't have transportation.

Like I said, if I can get a refund on my shipping costs back, I can afford to just take a cab there and get it.

Did you pay with PayPal, credit card or money order?

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    Did you pay with PayPal, credit card or money order?
    I paid with paypal. The funds actually came from an item I sold on ebay a few weeks ago, and was using to purchase the new item. So no credit cards or money orders were involved.

UPDATE:

I spoke with ebay again, and they said because he included the wrong address from 8/31-9/12, that would be his mistake and I would win an appeal.

However, they said that because he corrected the address on 9/13 and they tried to deliver to my correct APT on 9/14 and I wasn't home that was my fault and I would likely lose the appeal.

My problem with that is on 9/13 Fed Ex told me that they already exceeded the delivery attempts and were no longer delivering anymore, despite his address correction.

So how could I be at fault for not being home the one and only time they came when they told me they were NOT coming?

Anyway, I still filed my appeal and I'll know in 48 hours. If I lose and the package gets sent back they said it would be up to me to arrange and pay for new shipping later.

So, I'm waiting 2 days, and if I lose, I have until tuesday to pick it up before they send it back. At last resort I'll have to borrow money and take a cab 40 miles there and back, which will probably cost me as much or more as re-shipping, but at least I know I'll get my item.

EBAY SUCKS

I once had a problem with a late FedEx shipment, called FedEx, and had them reroute the item to an address where I could take delivery. They were very helpful.

Also, even if public transportation ends an unreasonable distance from the FedEx office, most people without cars have at least one friend who will do them the favor of giving them a ride from time to time.

UPDATE:

The item was sent back to the seller and he has both the item and money now. I asked if he would give me a partial refund where he could keep $175 for the shipping and the item, and just give me back $200, and he refused. He also said he would not be re-shipping either. He said if I wanted the item I would have to pick it up from his store in Illinois and I live in Michigan.

Here is his exact email:

"I am done shipping this item. I will not extend a refund partial or full. I did my part and I am not going to waste any more money or time on this item.. If you wan the item you can pick it up at my store at 132 N 3RD ST DeKalb, IL 60115. My store hours are 12-5PM Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I will be in Indianapolis guitar show this Saturday and will not be available this Saturday October 2nd."

What can I do at this point about getting my money or item back?

Am I responsible for driving/flying to Illinois to pick up my item in person? After all the problems I've had with this seller, I wouldn't even feel safe going to meet him in person. For all I know, he'll try to rob me.

Any suggestions on what I can do outside of filing a lawsuit?

I spoke with ebay and they will not give a refund. I am going to have UPS pick up the item from his store for me, and as long as the item wasnt damaged throughout all of this shipping back and forth, the case will be closed. It will have cost me extra, but at least I'll have my item, and because I bought it at a reduced cost, I should be able to sell it for more and get all my money back, I think.

Have you talked to Paypal about this?

1. Sponsored Links