Default Misquoted and Overcharged by Auto Insurance Broker

My question involves small claims court in the state of: California

About two months ago, I moved cities and found out that my auto insurance would be much higher than it had been. My insurance company put me in contact with an insurance broker to help me find a better rate.

I made it very clear that I was moving, and very clearly gave them my new address. They quoted me for a much lower rate (with a new insurance company) than I had originally been paying, which was great! I signed up.

A few months later I noticed that I wasn't getting mail from them. Turns out that they had put my old billing address on the new policy, even though I had been very clear with them that it was not the case. I updated it - no big deal.

However, what was a big deal was that they made a huge clerical error: when they signed me up, they typed the first five digits of my cell phone number into the garaging zip code box, which was, coincidentally, a location in California (apparently one with great insurance rates!). When I updated my address on file to get my mail, it ended up raising my insurance by $200/mo.

I contacted them, the broker admitted to the error, and told me there was nothing they could do. They didn't even offer to cover the money I was out. Now I'm stuck with an insurance policy that's 150% more per month than I was expecting to pay.

I've never done anything in small claims court, so what's my next step? I know I need to file (planning on doing this next paycheck, luckily I think I live close to a court where I can), what do I do after that?

Also, what exactly can I file for? What do I need to collect to build a strong case? The initial conversation was over the phone, but I have email correspondence as well (including them admitting that they made the mistake.)

I know it's a lot of questions, no one person has to respond to all of them, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Misquoted and Overcharged by Auto Insurance Broker

So they made a clerical error (it happens), and when they fixed it your rates went up?

If you believe you can get a better rate elsewhere, cancel and get the better rate elsewhere. If you cannot get a better rate elsewhere, the amount you're paying is at the low end of market rates so it would appear that you haven't suffered any damage.

1. Sponsored Links