Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Legal Issues Around Teenage Pregnancy

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Ky

My 17 year old son's 16 year girlfriend is pregnant and I have some questions about their living situation...

Her parents are not happy, her father is furious, there are issues there. What is the legal situation around her coming to live with us? She has stayed at our house most nights since this all blew up - her parents have not reported her as a runaway - if they did, that would turn into a big problem I assume? They seem fine with her not being there - is there some legal situation where we could all come to a legal agreement about her moving out? - my husband and I have some concerns about the legality of how things are at the moment, with her father's anger, his attitude towards us and where that could go if he decided to do something about it. (we obviously would all prefer that they try to work things out instead of going this far, but I wanted to find out in case)

Also, what about after baby is born? They will then be almost 18 and 17. So obviously she will still be a minor, what is the legal situation around the three of them living together?

Oh and also, she is obviously in need of future medical care, check-ups - does she need a parent for this? Her mother is not coping well with all this, I am happy to accompany her but will we run into issues over guardianship?

Default Re: Legal Issues Around Teenage Pregnancy

The legal situation is just this...

Her parents decide exactly where she lives until she is 18.

Until that time, she will be where her parents tell her to be.

No loophole... no dodge.

Her pregnancy means nothing to her living situation.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    Her parents decide exactly where she lives until she is 18.
    Right. This is what I'm getting at. Can we 4 parents come to a proper, written legal agreement about her living situation which would result in her moving into our house? Is that something that exists, something that is possible?

IF AND ONLY IF her parents are willing to allow it, yes.

But under no law can they be forced to allow it. If they say no, then it is no, and the law will NOT require them to change their minds. As long as she is even one minute under 18, she lives where they say she lives.

And if it were my daughter, and I do have one, there is no way on EARTH I would approve allowing her to live with the family of the boy that knocked her up. Under ANY circumstances.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Ok. Thank you. It is good to know that there is a legal possibility. Right now, they seem to want to wash their hands of the whole issue. But, I don't know how deep these feelings are. Or how long they will last.

Is this something that would be a legal documentation process or a court process..?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    And if it were my daughter, and I do have one, there is no way on EARTH I would approve allowing her to live with the family of the boy that knocked her up.
    Well I'm pretty sure the two of them were both present and willing.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Are we talking about emancipation here? Or is there another legal title for what we're talking about?

Quote Quoting karo
    View Post
    Are we talking about emancipation here? Or is there another legal title for what we're talking about?
    No, this is not emancipation. There's no way either child will be getting emancipated in this situation. It's called one set of parents allowing their child to live with someone else. As pointed out, it's entirely at the discretion of the girl's folks.

Quote Quoting karo
    View Post
    Well I'm pretty sure the two of them were both present and willing.
    Yes, but only one set of parents letting them play house.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    It's called one set of parents allowing their child to live with someone else. As pointed out, it's entirely at the discretion of the girl's folks.
    Ok, thank you.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    Yes, but only one set of parents letting them play house.
    Well, they aren't making any moves at the moment over the time she is spending at our house...I'm not quite sure what is going on with them, I don't know if it's denial or what..I'm not sure that they've accepted that it's happening.

And this is not about them 'playing house', the most important part of this is that this 16 year old is not getting the emotional support and advice she needs right now (again, I do hope this changes with her parents..).

After baby arrives, the three of them being together is not 'playing house' either. It's the right way to be.

I just want to make sure you understand this.

YOU have NO legal rights whatsoever here. There is NOTHING you can do, NO law you can invoke, NOTHING WHATSOEVER that you can do to make this go the way you want it to. It is ENTIRELY up to the girl's parents.

The law will not prohibit her coming to live with you IF they agree - but I really wouldn't count on their agreeing. You CANNOT force them to and they have no incentive to allow it.

Your definition of "right" is not the legal one.

once your son establishes paternity in a court of law, he can petition for visitation for the child.

Not the MOTHER of that child, but the child. The parents are within their legal rights to deny the father of the child access to the mother until that mother becomes 18 years old.

Impregnating a teenage girl does not give your son squatter's rights to her.
    - Mark Twain

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast