Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Unlawful Sexual Activity With a Minor - Harsh Penalty

You are a victim and don't see the reasons for the punishment?

Do you believe you have responsibility for being abused? Were you, somehow, partially responsible for what happened?

Of course you weren't. Neither is she.

I'm sorry, I don't believe for one minute that he was charged as a sex offender for nothing beyond kissing. There's either something you don't know, or something you're not telling us. Someone is lying here about what happend (beyond the girl lying about her age), and I have a feeling it's your angel of a son. No matter how honest you claim he is.

Whether you like it or not, the law is not going to hold the child responsible for lying about her age. Lying about her age is not a crime. Committing a sexual act of any kind upon a 14 year old is.

Since clearly the only answer you are willing to accept is that someone other than your son should be held accountable for his actions, please contact your elected representatives and tell them how wrong it is that a sex offender is required to register as one, and how a 14 year old should be held responsible for acts that she is not legally able to consent to. Let us know how that comes out for you.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    i'm sorry, i don't believe for one minute that he was charged as a sex offender for nothing beyond kissing. There's either something you don't know, or something you're not telling us. Someone is lying here about what happend (beyond the girl lying about her age), and i have a feeling it's your angel of a son. No matter how honest you claim he is.

Whether you like it or not, the law is not going to hold the child responsible for lying about her age. Lying about her age is not a crime. Committing a sexual act of any kind upon a 14 year old is.

Since clearly the only answer you are willing to accept is that someone other than your son should be held accountable for his actions, please contact your elected representatives and tell them how wrong it is that a sex offender is required to register as one, and how a 14 year old should be held responsible for acts that she is not legally able to consent to. Let us know how that comes out for you.
    you are incorrect!!!! I was there during the investigators questioning, and every step after!!! They were kissing!!!!!! You can't tell me someone is lying and it is my son! You don't know us, you have your opinon and i don't have to like it or agree with it but i will not sit back and allow you to claim someone is lying. If you want the case# and information needed to search the records and documents on our court web site i will gladly give that to you so you can see for yourself the facts of the case. I never said my son should not be held responsible. I have stated multiple times now that i was only wondering if the sentence was normal and wanted to fully understand how the incindent warranted him to be required to comply with group a sex offender requirements. I do not view my sons offense compatible with child rape, child molestation, sexual abuse/assault/battery pedophiles, ect. And feel that it is extreme to classify him on that level.
    Additionally.... If a minor can not consent, or be held responsible for thier actions based upon age and the lack of understanding consequences how is it they can be charged and held responsible for committing a crime? My asking this does not imply i am blaming the girl. It is only asking why it appears the law is "talking out of both sides of it mouth" so to speak.
    Again i state... The jail time and probation period isn't being disputed nor am i attempting to change it in any way. I feel it was handed down with the consideration of the case details. He got 90 days in county jail and 3 years probation. And could have gotten up to 5 years in prison.... The judge did suspend a 6 month prison sentence and $4150 of the $5000 fine was suspended as well. The registering as a sex offender is what i feel is unfairly handed him.... The level he is grouped into is the same as the most horrible perps are on..... Not one of the 2 lower classifications... The worst offenders are group a offenders!!! I am sorry this topic has gone into this back and forth seemingly bickering state... I was only looking for some insight.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    You are a victim and don't see the reasons for the punishment?

Do you believe you have responsibility for being abused? Were you, somehow, partially responsible for what happened?

Of course you weren't. Neither is she.
    she was not abused

If all he was doing was kissing, and all the police accused him of doing was kissing, why did he testify under oath at his plea hearing that he committed sexual acts upon the girl?

Quote Quoting worriedmom223
    View Post
    she was not abused
    The little girl was 100%, no doubt about it, no room for discussion, sure as the sun is coming up tomorrow, abused.

Our children want to do things all the time that they believe they are ready for. It is the responsibility of the adults in their lives to protect them from the decisions.

So... if your father had said you really wanted his attention, what would you say? Before your hair rises on the back of your neck, realize that this is a common point made by pedophiles about their victims... that they really wanted it and age was just a number.

Your son is a pedophile. No doubt about it. You say there are mitigating circumstances.

The law doesn't agree.

Hmmmm.

Top tier offender status for merely kissing the child?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Additionally.... If a minor can not consent, or be held responsible for thier actions based upon age and the lack of understanding consequences how is it they can be charged and held responsible for committing a crime?
    I've reread all the posts, and I'm still confused. Who is the minor who has been charged with a crime?

Quote Quoting justtoonice
    View Post
    I've reread all the posts, and I'm still confused. Who is the minor who has been charged with a crime?

No minors.

OP's son was 20. Child was 14.

OP is using the example of a child being held responsible IF they do commit a crime.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

I will agree that sex offender registry laws need to be changed. I'm not afraid of the 16 year old having consensual sex with his 14 year old girlfriend. I am afraid of the guy that commits a breaking and entering and a rape, or grabs a person off the street.

That said....under the current laws, your son is a sex offender.

Don't want the label - don't do the crime.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    OP is using the example of a child being held responsible IF they do commit a crime.
    I see; thank you.

The "initiation of force against another's body or property is wrong" is learned at a much earlier age than how to protect one's emerging sexuality from an adult's overbearing hormones, and so is reflected in the criminal code.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast