Default Charged with Felony Theft by Taking

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Georgia

My fince, his cousin, and myself are all charged with Larceny- Felony Theft by taking of Tools and Firearms in Columbia County GA.
    My question is, this is my first charge, I do not have anything else on my record other than speeding tickets, if I plead first offenders would I come out better than not pleading it. Or should I save my first offenders for somthing bigger since this is my first charge? Which I do not plan on getting another one.
    My second wuestion is, my fiance had been charged with felony theft by taking before and was sentenced to 15 days in jail and 3 years felony probation. He got a probation violation for not reporting back in Janurary and turned himself in after we caught this new charge. He "ran" for about 8 months. He has been to court for his probation violation, the judge did not re-sentence him, she just gave him 60 to 120 days in a probation detention center and he will always have the first felony theft on his record now as well. He has been sitting in Columbia County Jail since July 15th 2010. What will he probably get in court and can the time that he is sitting in Columbia County Jail count towards this new charge? It will not go towards his time in the probation detention center. And what can we do to help him out?

Default Re: My Fince and I Are Charged with Felony Theft by Taking What to Do

Or should I save my first offenders for somthing bigger since this is my first charge?
    so, you must be planning on continuing your life of crime. I say hold on to your trump card for the big stuff.

No, I don't want any more trouble at all, but you never know what my happen in a situtaion were I may have no choice. I hope that never happens, I have a huge problem with "what ifs" that will more than likely never happen! But thank you for the advice.

There is always a choice unless someone has a gun to your head...which would make a peachy defense. Also, if you do get FO status and commit another crime while still on FO probation, the FO goes away and you are considered convicted under the older charge...and can go to jail for it as well.

Also, with guns involved the DA.judge may play hardball and deny FO...it's not a guaranteed thing.

Quote Quoting Mrs.Courtney1989
    View Post
    I have a huge problem with "what ifs" that will more than likely never happen!
    If the stuff you steal is worth X dollars,

and the hassle of jail time etc. is worth Y dollars to you [how much would you pay to stay out of jail, daily or in a lump sum?]

and the probability of getting caught is P, expressed as a number from 0 to 1.0,

then,

if X is more than PxY, game theory says "steal the stuff".

Your story tells me that you have already made this calculation, consciously or unconsciously. You probably need to revise your estimate of the value of P.

The general public is 'risk-averse'; if you are 'risk-seeking' don't bother to do the calc.

1. Sponsored Links