Default Why Didn't I Get SSDI Back Pay

I live in Arizona.

I applied for SSDI in Jan and May of 2007 and was denied both times. Out of frustration i did not apply again until December 2008. This time i received a letter in June 2009 saying i was approved. In this letter i was also advised that my Disability was considered as of July 25, 2007. The letter went on to explain that my first check was due in July 2009. I did get that check and am still getting them. My question is am i not entitled to any back pay?

Default Re: Why Didn't I Get SSDI Back Pay

Did they tell you that you're not getting back pay, or is that your assumption based upon their paying your ongoing benefits? For Social Security Disability benefits, from what you've told us I would have expected you to be eligible for up to 12 months of back pay potentially starting in January, 2008.

Your letter was dated in June 2009 and you and now questioning it in September 2010? What did SSA say when you asked this question?

I did call them several months ago and they said what i had received was correct. They advised me their is a 6 month waiting period before you are eligible. I advised them yes it states 6 months from the last day i would have worked. That day was August 8, 2006. They again advised me no back pay was due. I have since gone to a couple forums such as this one and have never gotten a response so i assumed maybe they were right. To me this just does not seem right.

The six months starts with the onset of disability, which is not necessarily your last date of work. You have told us that your onset of disability was determined to be July 25, 2007.

Assuming you're speaking of back pay starting in 2008, what reason were you given for the determination that you were ineligible?

It depends on when you stopped working. What was the reason you were given, I reccomend given them a call for a clarification?

Quote Quoting Maurice Jenkins
    View Post
    It depends on when you stopped working. What was the reason you were given, I reccomend given them a call for a clarification?
    No it doesn't depend upon when you stopped working. It depends upon date of onset of disability which is the first date you became physically and mentally unable to perform Substantial Gainful Activity based on objective medical evidence. A person can stop working weeks, months, years, decades before date of onset.

1. Sponsored Links