Default Tax Lien, Unemployed

I became unemployed and could not afford to pay some federal taxes. I filed the tax return and wrote to the IRS and spoke with their collections agents. They have marked my account uncollectable and filed a lien. The problem is that I have been unemployed for more than a year and a half. I am living on unemployment and am worried about homelessness if the extensions run out and I don't have another job. I have told the IRS I am afraid that I can't be hired for federal jobs or that employers looking at my credit rating will see the lien and not hire me. It seems that the lien could harm the chances of getting a job that would make me able to pay. I don't know what to do about offers in compromise because I don't have any amount to offer. With the interest accumulating, the amount I owe is about $10,000. I don't know what to do about all of this. The lien was filed about a month or a month and a half ago.

Default Re: Tax Lien, Unemployed

I'm assuming the taxes cannot be discharged in bk?

(IE, they don't meet the eligibility criteria:

The due date for filing a tax return is at least three years ago.
    The tax return was filed at least two years ago.
    The tax assessment is at least 240 days old.
    The tax return was not fraudulent.
    The taxpayer is not guilty of tax evasion.)

If that's the case you really have one option.

Pay the taxes.

Otherwise I'm not sure what it is you're really asking.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: Tax Lien, Unemployed

Quote Quoting JQx5Rc9
    View Post
    I became unemployed and could not afford to pay some federal taxes. I filed the tax return and wrote to the IRS and spoke with their collections agents. They have marked my account uncollectable and filed a lien. The problem is that I have been unemployed for more than a year and a half. I am living on unemployment and am worried about homelessness if the extensions run out and I don't have another job. I have told the IRS I am afraid that I can't be hired for federal jobs or that employers looking at my credit rating will see the lien and not hire me. It seems that the lien could harm the chances of getting a job that would make me able to pay. I don't know what to do about offers in compromise because I don't have any amount to offer. With the interest accumulating, the amount I owe is about $10,000. I don't know what to do about all of this. The lien was filed about a month or a month and a half ago.
    The IRS is not going to remove the lien. That is simply not an option for you.
    Had you gone on a payment plan, instead of on uncollectable status, they would not have placed the lien.

1. Sponsored Links