Default 16 Year Old Wanting to Leave Home Now

I am 18 and I live at home. My boyfriend is 16 and he wants to move out of his home because he and his parents dont get along at all. He lives with his mother, and she constantly yells and puts him down and makes his life miserable. He hates to visit his father because he just does the same thing. They call him stupid and dont pay attention to him at all. His mother spends all of her time with her boyfriend whose son has all kinds of problems and has been to boot camp. His father is with a different girl every night and blows off plans with his son to go see young women. His home life is interfering with his education because his parents are too lazy to help him in any way, and I would help him but he is not suppose to see me or talk to me at all because they just dont like me for some reason. He wants to come live with me, but we know they would never stand for him leaving, even if they dont really want him there either. They are just worried how it will look if he leaves home. How can he leave without them being able to say anything about it? Emancipation is, of course, most likely the only option but anything he said they would turn around on him even if they had to lie. If there is any other way he can leave and move in with me, because my parents have agreed that if he can find a way here they would help him through school and to college, I would really appreciate you telling me of an alternate course of action. Living in that home is really damaging his self esteem and taking its toll on his outlook of the future, so it would be in his best interests if he left as soon as possible.

Default Re: 16 year old wanting to leave home now

Emancipation laws vary by state.

we live in alabama so is there a way for him to leave without his parents consent?

Alabama Emancipation Law provides,
    Quote Quoting Alabama Emancipation Law
    Section 26-13-1 - When authorized; procedure generally.

The several juvenile courts of the state are authorized to relieve minors over 18 years of age from the disabilities of nonage in the following cases and none other:

(1) Whenever the father or the mother of such minor shall file a petition with the court, in writing, requesting that such minor be relieved from the disabilities of nonage, and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the best interest of such minor. The parent filing such petition shall aver whether he is the guardian of such minor.

(2) Whenever any such minor, having no father, mother or guardian, or if a parent is living but is insane or has abandoned such minor for one year, shall file a petition with the court to be relieved of the disabilities of nonage, and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the interest of such minor.

(3) Whenever any such minor, having no father or mother, or if a parent is living but is insane or has abandoned such minor for one year, but having a guardian, shall file a petition with the juvenile court to be relieved from the disabilities and the guardian shall join in such petition and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the interest of such minor.

so his parents have to be involved in consenting? what exactly would happen to him if he ran away, because I have been talking him out of it a lot lately and I am afraid one night he might just leave.

The police can pick up a runaway and return him home, or involve social services in his disposition (which in some cases might include detention or foster care).

1. Sponsored Links