Default I Want to Adopt My Stepchildren, Where Do I Begin

I have 2 step children. I would like to adopt them. They have not seen their mother in one time in the past 2 years and has only spoken with them twice in that time. There is no visitation ordered and she has not pursued any. She currently owes about $6500 for past support. The children are both girls, ages 16 and 14, they no interest in seeing their mother and have asked me to adopt them. My husband has had custody for the past 5 years. Since then, the mother has had two other children that have also been taken away from her. I would like to find out what needs to happen for me to adopt the girls in case something happens to their father.

Default Re: I Want to Adopt My Stepchildren, Where Do I Begin

You forgot to name your state so the generic response is as follows: You should meet with an attorney and work with him/her to conduct a termination of parental rights in conjunction with a stepparent adoption. As a part of this process, the children's mother will need to be contacted. If she consents to the termination of her rights and the adoption, the process will be much easier. An involuntary termination of parental is even more complex. Either way you have to proceed, you need to do so with the aid of an attorney. It will help to avoid having the adoption overturned in the future.

Default Re: I Want to Adopt My Stepchildren, Where Do I Begin

Your husband would need to seek to have her parental rights terminated, either voluntarily or through court action. If she consents to allow you to adopt the children, it's a pretty straightforward process, with some paperwork and fees.

If she says no, your husband would have to go for an involuntary termination. If she has not made contact with the children in two years, he may be able to make a good argument for abandonment.

In any case, he needs to consult with counsel. It's not a DIY proposition, the pile of paperwork is large.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links