Default Travel for Work While on Parole and Probation in Georgia

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Georgia

I have been on parole for 1 year and have 1 year remaining, followed by 5 years of probation for concealing information that hindered an investigation.

-no violations
    -no priors
    -non violent
    -no history of drug use
    -stable employment
    -stable housing

I am being considered for two job opportunities that require travel, both in state and out of state. I have spoken with my po and he has not been helpful. He said it would be difficult for him to supervise me if I am out of state and that it probably wouldn't be approved. I asked him about the provision in the law that states, "The board may relieve a person on parole or other conditional release from making further reports and may permit the person to leave the state or county if satisfied that this is for the parolee's or conditional releasee's best interest and for the best interest of society." He was not aware of this and is unwilling to help in pursuing this matter.

Based on OCGA 42-9-52, it is possible to be relieved from making further reports. However, I don't know where to begin a request for this option so that I may pursue a career.

Secondly, I can't find any information about how probation might handle this when I begin reporting to them next year.

Any assistance in determining how to go about making such a request as well as any information about how to handle a similar request with probation would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Travel for Work While on Parole and Probation in Georgia

You begin by making the request with your probation officer, as you did. If that fails you can petition the sentencing court; for that I suggest working with a criminal defense lawyer.

You can't find information about how the probation department might handle what?

Default Re: Travel for Work While on Parole and Probation in Georgia

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You begin by making the request with your probation officer, as you did. If that fails you can petition the sentencing court; for that I suggest working with a criminal defense lawyer.

You can't find information about how the probation department might handle what?
    I am currently on parole, so the sentencing court has no jurisdiction. I have spoken with my parole officer and he has been unwilling to assist in pursuing approval for work related travel. However, since I wrote this I received a return call from the field services department of the state parole office (the main office) and was told to request an appointment with the chief of the parole office in my county. The field services officer informed me that this is not an abnormal request, and because I have complied with all parole demands with no violations to date, there should be no problem getting approved for work related travel. The only limitation that they are required to place on me is that I can't leave the state for more than two weeks at a time.

The second part of my question was whether probation would allow work related travel once my parole ends next year. Assuming that parole approves my request for work related travel, will probation allow me to continue to travel for work without any interruption? Or, will I have to go through some sort of approval process that could adversely effect my employment?

Thank you for your assistance.

1. Sponsored Links