Default Removing Name from "Quit Claim Deed"

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Pa.

My wife's mother is 80 years old and brother's name was added to her Mother's house ("quit claim deed") About 4 years ago due to her Father being put in an VA Home.Then 18 months ago her brother was made POA by his Mother.My wife's father has since passed away. We have recently found out that he has been using her 3 credit cards and has also had her write 2 checks out in the amount of $8500 which she doesn't remember why she even wrote the checks out, he cashed the checks because we have the cancelled checks that were made out to him. We can not get a straight answer from him. There was also a vehicle lease which was in his mother's name that was to run out soon but he went and got another new vehicle still in his mother's name, she signed nothing and didn't want to be on another lease.All total he has put his mother over $40,000 in debt ...Her mother does own the house which has been paid for for many years.
    my question is (1) can his name be removed from the house if he refuses to do so...(2)Can he be charged in this matter with Elderly Abuse? My wife is POA now , her mother's choice

Thanks for your time...........

Default Re: Removing Name from "Quit Claim Deed"

Somebody should petition for guardianship and conservatorship, so they can take control of your mother-in-law's finances and, if appropriate, seek to have your brother-in-law restore misappropriated funds to the estate. I can't promise you that it will be possible to undo the quitclaim deed; it will be more feasible if mom was not mentally competent at the time of the transfer. Have the details reviewed by a lawyer.

Default Re: Removing Name from "Quit Claim Deed"

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Somebody should petition for guardianship and conservatorship, so they can take control of your mother-in-law's finances and, if appropriate, seek to have your brother-in-law restore misappropriated funds to the estate. I can't promise you that it will be possible to undo the quitclaim deed; it will be more feasible if mom was not mentally competent at the time of the transfer. Have the details reviewed by a lawyer.
    Thanks for the reply, yes she was of a sound mind when she did the Quit Claim Deed, in fact she is still pretty sharpe, mind wise. She is the one that brought this to our attention and thought that he might have been taking advantage of her. She doesn't remeber writting the two checks out to him tho but this was around the time my Father-in-law had passed away. My brother-in -law does live with her and has for many years so this is why she gave him POA....what a mistake !!

1. Sponsored Links