Unhappy Can I Become a Police Officer if I Was Once Charged with Battery on a Police Officer

My question involves criminal law for the state of: florida
    Can I become a cop in florida if I was charged with battery on a police officer(I walked up to a cops "gun side"). It was drop to a mis, I have not gotten in any trouble since and that was 6 years ago.

Default Re: Can I Become a Cop in Florida if I Was Charged with Battery on a Police Officer

Let me put it to you this way...

Out of the thousand people applying for that position, why would the hiring officer even LOOK at you over them?
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Default Re: Can I Become a Police Officer if I Was Once Charged with Battery on a Police Offi

will they still hire me- yes or no
    can I become a fireman

Default Re: Can I Become a Police Officer if I Was Once Charged with Battery on a Police Offi

The charge of battery on a law enforcement officer in Florida is a third degree felony charge. You cannot become a police officer or a firefighter, ever. PERIOD

Hopefully and maybe you can become a mall cop if mall management dosn't run a background check on you.

Is there a statute to that effect? Note that the conviction charge was to a lesser, misdemeanor offense.

(a) In the case of assault, from a misdemeanor of the second degree to a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) In the case of battery, from a misdemeanor of the first degree to a felony of the third degree.

(c) In the case of aggravated assault, from a felony of the third degree to a felony of the second degree. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any person convicted of aggravated assault upon a law enforcement officer shall be sentenced to a minimum term of imprisonment of 3 years.

(d) In the case of aggravated battery, from a felony of the second degree to a felony of the first degree. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any person convicted of aggravated battery of a law enforcement officer shall be sentenced to a minimum term of imprisonment of 5 years.

It is known that the state of Florida prosecutes battery of an LEO as a third degree felony.

So there's not actually a law preventing somebody charged with battery on a law enforcement officer from becoming a law enforcement officer? You're speaking only of the charge as a practical impediment? I just want to be clear as to your meaning when you say "You cannot become a police officer or a firefighter, ever".

Also, again, the battery on a law enforcement officer charge was not the conviction charge. There was a plea bargain through which the charge was reduced to a misdemeanor.

I wish they DID handle all BLEO cases as felonies, but alas, tis wishful thinking. I can think of 4 or 5 cases of arrests made just by officers in my agency (Florida) for the 12 counties my division covers within the last 6 months, only one of which actually went to felony charges - all the rest pled down.

Same with looking at criminal histories - when you get that rush of adrenaline that the guy you're out with is a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, then dispatch tells you that there are 8 felony arrests, that worked out as 6 misdemeanor convictions and 2 nolos. Big bummer.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    So there's not actually a law preventing somebody charged with battery on a law enforcement officer from becoming a law enforcement officer? You're speaking only of the charge as a practical impediment? I just want to be clear as to your meaning when you say "You cannot become a police officer or a firefighter, ever".

Also, again, the battery on a law enforcement officer charge was not the conviction charge. There was a plea bargain through which the charge was reduced to a misdemeanor.
    Right, I didn't read where the OP stated that the charge was down graded to a misdemeanor.

I was charged with battery on officer ( misdemeanor in the first degree) and ajudification for
    -resisting arrest without violence
    -and assualt on a officer

1. Sponsored Links