Default First Time Meth Possession Charge in Las Vegas, Nevada

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Nevada

I have never been arrested or in trouble for anything in my entire life.

I was in Las Vegas several months ago for the weekend and was drunk in a nightclub. My friend, who has done drugs in his past, bought some drugs while we were in Las Vegas. I was drunk and stupid enough to want and try it. I was instructed to go in the bathroom and snort the drug. A bathroom attendant apparently saw me and turned me in. I was arrested and taken to jail with 3 grams of meth.

I was released a couple of hours later with no bail set. They released me on OR (own recognizance) and a court date was set for 4 months later which is coming up very soon now. They are charging me with a felony for possession. That's it.

I have an attorney since I dont live there. She will show up for me.

PLEASE tell me that this will be reduced to something LESS THAN A FELONY? I cannot have a felony on my record it will likely mean I would lose my dream job and my dream career that I am in right now.

Default Re: First Time Meth Possession Charge in Las Vegas, Nevada

does anybody have any insight or experience?

The better person to ask is a lawyer,all I can do is guess. I think you have good shot to reduce it to a misdeamanor b.c it's your 1st time and your not a dealer. Some places are very strict w. meth,the charge needs to be taken seriosly,the fact they realsed you quickly looks good as well. If it's a local lawyer she should have a plan of attack and be able to give you some idea of what the outcome will be.

Quote Quoting tc498
    View Post
    The better person to ask is a lawyer,all I can do is guess. I think you have good shot to reduce it to a misdeamanor b.c it's your 1st time and your not a dealer. Some places are very strict w. meth,the charge needs to be taken seriosly,the fact they realsed you quickly looks good as well. If it's a local lawyer she should have a plan of attack and be able to give you some idea of what the outcome will be.

all my lawyer will really say is that "the chance of the charge being completely dismissed is slim to none and that the chance of my case going to actual trial is also slim to none."

she won't say anything really more than that...grrr....but I think everything is pointing to this charge ending up sticking to me as a misdemeanor. I can take that...a misdemeanor I can deal with and keep my job and career.

what a mess.....

Update:

My arraignment hearing was today and my attorney said that there has not been a complaint filed against me. They said that they must be backed up. So I guess this is good news? They said they have 1 year to file a complaint.

I guess this means my case isnt priority?

So this is your first time and your holding an 8-ball ? I don't buy it

So I came across your thread when I was in the middle of my case for getting busted in Vegas in exactly the same way. I , like you, didn't have a record at all and was worried about the life long implications of having a conviction for possession. I was recently able to get my case dismissed. I am not a lawyer, but my advice to you is:
    1) Go to some narcotics anonymous classes and document the attendance
    2) Get some drug/alcohol counseling with the documentation
    3) Don't convince yourself to settle for a misdemeanor. Trust me, although it is definitely better than a felony, a misdemeanor possession is not a good thing. If you are a traveler (like I am), having such a conviction can really inhibit some of the places you would like to visit. Canada can refuse entry to people with DUI convicitions for example.
    4) make sure you got a good lawyer, who does only criminal defense and is well versed in these types of cases.

Just saying, that obviously you are scared as hell like I was, but if you can show the court you are willing to work through to put your life on a positive path this can greatly help you.

Wish you all the best dude!

It helped that they realsed with no bail especially for a felony,sometimes the bail can give you an idea how serious they are taking the charge,many times a standard plea deal is offered and with a good lawyer you can push for a step futher to dismiss the charge if you're lucky. If they you press hard and they won't throw out the charge the next step is getting it reduced to something that sounds better like disordely conduct for example. A misdeamanor is a lot better then a felony but if it's felony meth possession reduced to misdeamanor meth that result is still bad. Where as if someone ask about convictions putting somehing down like disordely conduct isn't as bad.

Quote Quoting gixxer
    View Post
    So I came across your thread when I was in the middle of my case for getting busted in Vegas in exactly the same way. I , like you, didn't have a record at all and was worried about the life long implications of having a conviction for possession. I was recently able to get my case dismissed. I am not a lawyer, but my advice to you is:
    1) Go to some narcotics anonymous classes and document the attendance
    2) Get some drug/alcohol counseling with the documentation
    3) Don't convince yourself to settle for a misdemeanor. Trust me, although it is definitely better than a felony, a misdemeanor possession is not a good thing. If you are a traveler (like I am), having such a conviction can really inhibit some of the places you would like to visit. Canada can refuse entry to people with DUI convicitions for example.
    4) make sure you got a good lawyer, who does only criminal defense and is well versed in these types of cases.

Just saying, that obviously you are scared as hell like I was, but if you can show the court you are willing to work through to put your life on a positive path this can greatly help you.

Wish you all the best dude!
    my attorney said that I shouldn't attend any classes before the trial and she also said that she talked to the DA months ago after my initial arrest and they said it was a slim to none chance to dismiss the charges.

How much did you get caught with.

Yes, I am scared shitless....I can lose everything with a felony conviction...

1. Sponsored Links