Default Sex Offender Registration After Moving to A Different State

I have been told that the laws regarding sex offenders in California are to also be enforced in another state in which we moved to even though they are different in the other states. I am totally confused. If this is the case....Why are the laws different from state to state. can california tell my husband he can not live in Kansas?

Default Re: Sex Offender Registration After Moving to A Different State

You will need to follow the sex offender laws of the state to which you move, as well as any remaining requirements out of California.

Laws are different in each state because state laws are made by state legislatures.

Here is the problem. We thought he was following the rules of KS. He was contacted by california Probation officer that he had to return to CA. He is on summary probation on a misdemeanor yet the Felony Parole officer said her could not reside in KS even tho he is a Resident. The inacted the interstate compact which he was not informed of when he was released from serving a 2 month sentence. they released him to KS. We asked many questions however no one seems to know the answers to any of them. We have no idea if the interstate compact is just durning probation.... or forever. also why are they having a Felony parole officer deal with a misdemeanor offense? We are finding sooo many issues here.....we are lost.

If he is still on probation, he has to follow the rules imposed by his probation. Heck, simply moving to another state without express permission is enough to violate a person.

there is a huge difference between simply being required to register as a sex offender and being on probation.

I understand what your saying. He was suppose to be informed of the requirements prior to release. and the requirements were to the be from the state he was being released to. Did not happen. No one told us to do anything other than register in KS. We did everything as we were told... so you can just imagine our disappointment when Everything blew up. Now not even the people that work for the law know what to do.... I mean isn't that their job to know how things go? It is silly that every time any question is asked its Hmmm I don't have a clue.

he received nothing in writing? You say he was released to KS. Who released him to KS?. Any paperwork involved?

Until he is released from all supervised release, he is subject to the terms and conditions of his probation or parole in California. If he has failed to report or failed to obtain proper legal permission to move out of state, he is in violation of his release. The fact that no one told him he could NOT move is not the same as having permission to do so.

If all they want is for him to come back, he is lucky. They might be able to violate him and send him back to jail or off to prison (depending on the offense and the sentencing). It may also be that the compact request for supervision in KS was rejected (if it was applied for). Many states do not want to supervise someone else's sexual predator ... it is never a good idea.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Its probably a good idea to go back to California. They may jus slap him on the wrist and he would to go through the system, but if he is re-arrested, then theres not much you can do. Freedom is a slice of life not afforded to many, and once attained, we lose our mind and forget to dot the i's and cross the t's. You have to follow the letter of the law especially in California where you dont want to f'up.

Good luck, and tell your hubby to stop touching innocent property, there is a price to pay for those actions.

1. Sponsored Links