Default Unemployment Eligibility After a Contract Job Ends

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: California

Hello,

I have a situation here that I am trying to work out and appreciate any assistance you can give.

In December of 2009 I was employed by Company A and took a full time contracting job with Company B in January of 2010 because Company A was not doing so hot and Company B was offering really good pay.

I took a "leave of absence" from Company A BUT continued to assist them in the evenings with clients that I had the skill to do the work as there was no one in house to do it - hence still an "employee" there. I work an average of 3-5 hours a week. All with the hope that things would improve and then they would take me back - instead things got worse there.

My contract job is about to end at Company B and Company A cannot afford to hire me back at even 24 hours a week (which is what it would take for me to make more than my unemployment benefits - I am making $30/hour).

So my thought is to leave Company A before my contract is up with Company B and when I apply for Unemployment there wouldn't be an issue with benefits - is that correct? Would I have to list Company A on my unemployment other than that they were my previous to Company B employer?

Sum it up: Contract job was 6.5-7 months long, previous employer was 3.5 years with .5 being "voluntary part time".

Thanks a million in advance - my family cannot afford to get by if I don't get unemployment.

Default Re: Contract Job Ending - Eligibility

Hello,

I am not "forum hopping" - I am looking for answers to this question in multiple places, unsure of who will be able to help.

Second I am not "scamming" anyone. I tried to leave Company A in Dec of 2009 and stayed there to "help out" after working a full time job every day then adding more time to assist them 3-5 hours a week and did not realize until now that: 1. they would not have the money to hire me back even at 24 hours a week and that helping out Company A could effect my unemployment benefits.

I think both of you have been extremely rude and I am honestly here searching for ways to get rid of Company A so I can focus on a career search without working for free essentially since this is the first time I will be collecting unemployment in my 25+ years of being full time employed.

I was told if I quit my part time job before my full time job is laid off there will not be a problem with benefits.

Thanks to everyone and again I am sorry for everyone who is having a tough time in this economy...in case you forgot - I am in the same boat.

Best!

Quote Quoting sadmomma
    View Post
    I was told if I quit my part time job before my full time job is laid off there will not be a problem with benefits.
    !
    I don't know who told you this but I doubt the validity of the statement. Anytime you chose to end any employment, it generally affects your UI claim.

You are choosing to not have that income. That is in direct contrast to the purpose of UI. As such, I would suspect it would have a negative effect on your UI bene's.

I called the EDD and a representative told me that.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I don't know who told you this but I doubt the validity of the statement. Anytime you chose to end any employment, it generally affects your UI claim.

You are choosing to not have that income. That is in direct contrast to the purpose of UI. As such, I would suspect it would have a negative effect on your UI bene's.

Default Re: Unemployment Eligibility After a Contract Job Ends

Quote Quoting sadmomma
    View Post
    In December of 2009 I was employed by Company A and took a full time contracting job with Company B in January of 2010 because Company A was not doing so hot and Company B was offering really good pay.
    Do you mean you took a contract position as an employee, or do you mean that you took a position as an independent contractor. Did the contract have a fixed term, that is, you were to be employed for about seven months, January to August, when the job was to end?
    Quote Quoting sadmomma
    So my thought is to leave Company A before my contract is up with Company B and when I apply for Unemployment there wouldn't be an issue with benefits - is that correct?
    I'm not clear on what you expect that to change.
    Quote Quoting sadmomma
    View Post
    I am not "forum hopping" - I am looking for answers to this question in multiple places, unsure of who will be able to help.
    Did you get an answer somewhere?
    Quote Quoting sadmomma
    I tried to leave Company A in Dec of 2009 and stayed there to "help out" after working a full time job every day then adding more time to assist them 3-5 hours a week and did not realize until now that: 1. they would not have the money to hire me back even at 24 hours a week and that helping out Company A could effect my unemployment benefits.
    You mean, in that your benefits will be reduced due to your continued part-time earnings?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Do you mean you took a contract position as an employee, or do you mean that you took a position as an independent contractor. Did the contract have a fixed term, that is, you were to be employed for about seven months, January to August, when the job was to end?
    W-2 Contract Employee. Fixed Term. Job was to end July 1 and was extended to July 16.

View Post
    Did you get an answer somewhere?
    I spoke with EDD but people seem to think that was wrong information so I am trying to call again. But the representative said that if I quit my part time job before my full time job ends there should not be a problem.

View Post
    You mean, in that your benefits will be reduced due to your continued part-time earnings?
    Right I will make less than my EDD benefit, essentially working for nothing.

Do you know anything about this? I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Quote Quoting sadmomma
    View Post

I spoke with EDD but people seem to think that was wrong information so I am trying to call again. But the representative said that if I quit my part time job before my full time job ends there should not be a problem.
    I believe if you were not aware your job at B was ending, it would not be a problem but knowing your employment at B is ending and the only reason you are quitting the job is so your income meets the requirements to be eligible for UI, I suspect it will be a problem. I could be wrong but you cannot undo the action once you take it.

I called the EDD and a representative told me that.
    Did they say that knowing you are aware of the ending of your current employment at B and did they say that it will not be a problem or that is should not be a problem?

What any employee at the EDD tells you is maybe, their best guess, file and find out. At that point, you've already quit. Nothing they tell you over the phone is binding.

If you're ready to take that risk, go ahead.

1. Sponsored Links