Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Found Money on the Street

If you found lots of money on the street are you suppose to turn it in to the police and if nobody claims it in 2 months you can claim the lost money.

Default Re: Found Money on the Street

money found on the street is not yours and as such, needs to be turned over to or reported to the police. If there is any chance of claiming the lost funds as your depends on the state.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    money found on the street is not yours and as such, needs to be turned over to or reported to the police. If there is any chance of claiming the lost funds as your depends on the state.
    if you found 20 bucks lying on the street you wouldn't just spend it right away but you would hand it over to the police.

Quote Quoting tevez
    View Post
    if you found 20 bucks lying on the street you wouldn't just spend it right away but you would hand it over to the police.
    Huh? that makes no sense to me.

Quote Quoting gts
    View Post
    If you found lots of money on the street are you suppose to turn it in to the police and if nobody claims it in 2 months you can claim the lost money.
    You did not name your state, but each is different.

In my state, Ohio, LOST property becomes the property of the finder, with exceptions.

IF the rightful owner can be reasonably ascertained, I have a legal obligation to do so.

I am not required to go to any great lengths to discover the owner.

I have read case law on this in Ohio Jurisprudence 3rd.

American Jurisprudence 2nd, also has a volume on such lost/mislaid/abandoned and treasure trove property.

I forget the name, an Ohio case, it involved finding some money/jewels on the floor of a safe deposit box area in a bank.

Now, although technically lost, meaning through carelessness/inadvertance, the "righful owner" can be reasonably ascertained, as this is not a public area and only a certain # of customers could have dropped it.

If it were "mislaid", the property becomes the property of the business as a bailment until and if the rightful owner can claim it.

Don't hand the money over to anyone, its called Finders keepers, losers weepers. Keep it under your mattress and spend it in small quantity's. If your talking about 10's of thousands of dollars then spend a few hundred here and there, if your talking about a few hundred then spend it all at once if you wish.

In Michigan, (over $20) found money is to be turned into the state police, along with your name.

If unclaimed within a month, it is yours.

For those who just want to keep the cash....how would you feel if the money found had fallen out of your purse or wallet? How would you treat the person who turned it in? Or kept it?

I'll admit that I once found a wallet with $280.00 in it, I pocketed the money and saw that there were business cards in the wallet and called the number. The owner of the wallet meet me and gave me a $100.00 reward... I'm ashamed to admit it but I would do it again if I were to get the chance.

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    I'll admit that I once found a wallet with $280.00 in it, I pocketed the money and saw that there were business cards in the wallet and called the number. The owner of the wallet meet me and gave me a $100.00 reward... I'm ashamed to admit it but I would do it again if I were to get the chance.
    so, you admit you are a thief. What a wonderful claim to fame.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    so, you admit you are a thief. What a wonderful claim to fame.
    And I admit I would do it again.

Doe's that make me a felon if I do it again?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast