Default What is the Procedure for a Warrant in Debt if You Are Disabled and Have No Income

My question is regarding a warrant in debt hearing in the state of Virginia:

I'm being sued for 12,000.00 for legal services that originated in 2004. At the time of the services I was disabled and had no income and the original attorney that took the divorce case quoted a total of $1200 for everything and that would be paid by my soon-to-be ex-husband. Another attorney took over and the costs soared to $12K, which he was aware I would never have the means to pay. The venue is also in Fairfax when the case was heard in Manassas in Prince William County. Can someone tell me if I can request a change of venue and if there is a judgment entered, what may happen? As I stated, I have no income. Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: What is the Procedure for a Warrant in Debt if You Are Disabled and Have No Incom

Also does anyone know what a "homestead exemption" is? There's a section on the summons that says "Homestead Exemption Waived [ ]YES [ ]NO [ ]CANNOT BE DEMANDED" In the plaintiff's section, there is an "x" in the [ ]NO selection.

Default Re: What is the Procedure for a Warrant in Debt if You Are Disabled and Have No Incom

If your state has a homestead exception like Florida, that means a creditor with a judgment can not take your home. You would NEVER want to waive that, even if you dont' own a home.

You should demand an itemized bill from that attorney if you have not gotten one. You should have a reviewed by a malpractice attorney.

Of course, if they already have a judgment against you that won't do much good.

I was able to email the clerk of the district court in Fairfax with my motion to object to venue, she put it at the front of the case file, and the judge granted it. Now I suppose my next step should be to find an attorney? If this case results in a judgment entered against me for the $12,000, what is the worst-case scenario I should be prepared for? I have 6 teenagers between me and my 2nd husband, so I just want to be sure the roof over their heads isn't in jeopardy.

My application for social security disability is in process, but I have no idea what bearing that has. I avoided applying for 7 years since my first hospitalization because I kept holding out hope that my medical condition would improve, but sadly it has just steadily gotten worse.

1. Sponsored Links