Default Do You Go to Court for a Misdemeanor

My question involves criminal records for the state of: WA

If a cop says he's going to write you up for a misdemeanor offense, does that mean you're going to be summoned to court no matter what? Also, if you're never summoned to court then I assume you're not "convicted" of a misdemeanor, right? Does that mean it still shows on your record?

Default Re: Do You Go to Court for a Misdemeanor

Quote Quoting jr123
    View Post
    If a cop says he's going to write you up for a misdemeanor offense, does that mean you're going to be summoned to court no matter what?
    No.
    Quote Quoting jr123
    Also, if you're never summoned to court then I assume you're not "convicted" of a misdemeanor, right?
    You can't be convicted of a crime when no formal charge is ever initiated.
    Quote Quoting jr123
    Does that mean it still shows on your record?
    Does what show up in what record? There may be a police report from the incident. If there was a formal arrest, that may make its way into a criminal history even if no charge results and the police and possibly the jail would have records of the arrest.

I guess I'm a little confused. Let's say you get caught shoplifting or something and an officer takes a look at your license and you never receive a summons to court or hear of anything after the matter...does something show up on your record?

Again, it depends on what you mean by "record."

if someone did a background check would they be able to see it?

Unhappy Re: Do You Go to Court for a Misdemeanor

I am very curious to know if you found any information out. If anyone could help me also it would be much appreciated. I unfortunately stole from a store which was a huge mistake and it haunts me everyday. The cops were not called, however, I had to go to the police station and they took my picture and my fingerprints. I was told that I would be summoned for a court hearing. It has been over a year now and I haven't received anything. I am signing up for classes and the program I would like to try to get into will not accept a student if they have a misdemeanor. So my question is, is it safe to assume I do not have a misdemeanor? Also, is it possible the court house is so backed up that I haven't received my summon yet? I have been trying to research this and I have no idea where to begin to attempt to find out if I have one on my record to where I wouldn't be able to be accepted into the program.

The cops didn't come and you never got a court summons but you had to go to the police station?

In any case, start your own thread.

1. Sponsored Links