Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How to Get Back Home

I was released in 1999 following voluntary departure after serving a sentence of 84 months for conspiracy to distrubute (aggr.felony). I've heard about the 10 & 20 year 'banishment', whatever that means. I have not attempted to reenter, and have 3 children and an American wife in the US. Since then I have completed my BA and MBA in London and am looking for the best possible solutions to reenter and reunite with my family. What are my options regarding reentry? Thanks.

Default Re: How to Get Back Home

I was released in 1999 following voluntary departure after serving a sentence of 84 months for conspiracy to distribute (aggravated .felony). I entered the US in 1973 as a permanent resident (green card holder) This was my first offense. I've heard about the 10 & 20 year 'banishment', whatever that means. For the past 10 years I have not attempted to re-enter, and have waited patiently to re-integrate with my 3 children and an American wife. All have visited me abroad on several occasions, however home for us is the US. I simply screwed up and accept that, but it's time to move on and begin the process of building our future. During these past ten years, I have completed my BA, MBA and considering pursuing my doctorate in London if returning to the US is wishful thinking. Nevertheless I and am looking for the best possible solutions to re-enter and reunite with my family. What are my options regarding re-entry? Any advise would be much appreciated

What are my options regarding reentry?
    You don't have any.

Aggravated felons are barred for life from returning to the US.

Permanent ejection from the US. Most non-citizens who are deported from the US are not eligible to apply to return legally to the country for a period of from five to 20 years depending on their circumstances. But aggravated felons are permanently disqualified from ever returning to the US for any reason.

http://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/155/
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Not exactly the answer I was looking for, but I reckon that's reality in the US. Strange with the law so clear cut that so many offenders still spend their money on lawyers. Guess hope is what keeps lawyers in business, and broken families hangin on for another day. At least I can see my family from time to time, however for those who can't but are willing to risk losing it all in a bid to see their loved ones just one more time it's sad. When a society trades compassion for condemnation everyone loses. Not just the bad guys. Thanks for your legal advice and all the best.

These are the consequences of your actions. It has nothing at all to do with compassion.

Perhaps people should think before they commit aggravated felonies.

(I'm honestly not trying to be obnoxious - but seriously, if your family is broken it's solely because of your actions. Not society)
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Think of it this way...

If an immigration department does NOT specifically ban aggravated felons from entering the country, whom SHOULD that department ban?

Your only hope is to try to get your conviction reduced and/or expunged or pardoned.

I would explore an attorney to determine your chances... but they are probably not very good.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

There is another option...

London is beautiful. I've been there. If you want your family together, they can move.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

London is...a great place to visit.

But to live? Urgh.

I recommend Durham instead

Do not microwave grapes

I'm not looking for any sympathy. I love the US and always will, and London is a great place to visit but that's about the length of it. I saw the sunshine about 6 days last year and it isn't a great place to plan a pic nic. I've tried Bulgaria but can't understand a word their sayin. In a restaurant I ordered fish and chips but got chicken and rice. They nod their heads when saying 'no' and shake it left to right to say 'yes'. Imagine that. I alsoTried Norway but it's cold as a well diggers a%$. I was considering Canada but the temptation would be too great to stop by and see the kids once in a while. The word aggravated felony doesn't necessary describe the person, in every situation. It doesn't do any good to ask my lawyer to have my sentence reduced as I've already served it. I figure after spending so much money on my lawyer already, and as I'm writing you from London it illustrates how effective he was. I haven't lost hope however, as many of you are trying desperately to get my to like where I am and even drag my family in it. I was sentenced, served society for my crime in full and perhaps there are some true talents among you that may help me find a gap in the law which I can pry just large enough to get myself back home.

What, you want us to help you find a loophole in the law?

Dude, that's what your attorney is for.

I'm sorry, but your crime had very long-reaching consequences.

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast