Default What is the Statute of Limitations in Missouri for Collection of Unpaid Bills

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Missouri

I am working with an individual who owes a large debt from a prior telephone account. She also has a current past due account (on which she defaulted on a payment arrangement) and has been disconnected. The company is holding her responsible for the old debt (that is 7 years old) as well as the new debt and requiring payment in full of both prior to reconnection. She seems to think that the old debt will disappear in July due to a 7 year statute of limitations. I thought there was no such statute of limitations for utilities, specifically telecommunications companies and that they could go back as far as necessary to recoup debt. Could you please clarify (preferably with appropriate statute # reference)?

Default Re: to Know the Statute of Limitations in Missouri for Collection of Unpaid Bills

So you think we have someone that knows Missouri telecommunications law by heart.

Someone, assuming they have nothing better to do would have to research this on the internet, which is exactly what you can do.

Default Re: What is the Statute of Limitations in Missouri for Collection of Unpaid Bills

She seems to think that the old debt will disappear in July due to a 7 year statute of limitations.
    She is mistaken.

The seven year statute of limitations applies to how long a company has to SUE for the debt. They can continue collection efforts until the debtor dies or they go out of business.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links