Default Do I Reopen My Old Unemployment Claim or Do I File a New One

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CALIFORNIA

I was on my first extension (My original claim was past one year in Oct), with EDD California, and making my weekly claims, when I found a temporary job, and quit filing a claim. Now, after six months, I am unemployed again. Do I reopen my previous claim or file a new one? I am not eligible to qualify for a new one until July 4. In the meanwhile, can I go back to collect my benefits under the extensions.

Default Re: Do I Reopen My Old Unemployment Claim or Do I File a New One

You can try, but I am skeptical of your chances. Your unemployment case is open for one year after you file; you would appear to need to requalify. But the worst that can happen is that they'll say "no", and if you end up getting benefits I'm happy to be wrong.

Default Re: Do I Reopen My Old Unemployment Claim or Do I File a New One

Is the case not considered open, if you have not exhausted extensions. Otherwise, what is the point of extensions?

Smile Re: Do I Reopen My Old Unemployment Claim or Do I File a New One

I encourage you to try to reopen your claim. I think EDD procedures and the law require that they first try to qualify you under the regular state unemployment program;then if you don't qualify they check into extensions. The extension monies are based on the amount of your last active claim. It doesn't sound like you've exhausted all of your available tiers.

They may require you to go back on the regular benefits program as soon as you qualify or at the end of the next quarter. You aren't supposed to get extension benefits when you can qualify under a regular program.

1. Sponsored Links