Default Eviction Case Dismissed - on Record and Cannot Rent Anywhere

My question involves an eviction in the state of: Alabama

Both my girlfriend and I signed one year lease with landlord. Lease expired and we continued on a month-to-month basis. Girlfriend and I split up and I contacted landlord to let him know that I was moving out and that girlfriend was staying. I moved out and a few months later receive a notice to appear in court on eviction on residence girlfriend stayed in. I went to court and landlord failed to appear and court dismissed case. I am trying to relocate but have been refused rental because a report run by the leasing agent says I was evicted. I explained the situation and showed the paperwork from the court stating case had been dismissed but was still refused. What is my remedy? I contacted the court clerk and was told there was nothing that could be done. I've been advised that I could take former landlord to court but will that clear up my report?

Default Re: Eviction Case Dismissed - on Record and Cannot Rent Anywhere

I am trying to relocate but have been refused rental because a report run by the leasing agent says I was evicted
    where is the information coming from?

Default Re: Eviction Case Dismissed - on Record and Cannot Rent Anywhere

Odds are the credit reporting agencies obtained the information as a matter of public record, and not from an action by your landlord. If your landlord did report the eviction action, he has an obligation to report it accurately - and you can dispute the incorrect information with the CRA's. If the CRA's obtained the eviction information from the courts and have abstracted it incorrectly, you can again dispute the entry.

There's a chance, though, that the CRA's are reporting the matter as dismissed, but your prospective landlords aren't looking past the fact that the eviction action was started. Obtain your credit reports and find out what they say. (See annualcreditreport.com)

1. Sponsored Links