Default Price Sticker Switch

My question involves criminal law for the state of: TN

Background: I have only switched sale price stickers on 4-5 items ever, and only over the last year or two. I typically tend to do it when I see something I like but don't necessarily need and feel for whatever reason that it might be slightly overpriced. I know that gives me no excuse, and believe me after this incident I plan to never do this again, and I'm not just saying that. I just ask for your legal advice/knowledge and no judgment of my morality (or lack thereof) for the time being.

I was shopping at the Gap this afternoon and decided to put a sale sticker from another item I tried on over the sticker that was already in place on a pair of shoes. The difference was about $9. Ridiculous, I know. This all took place in the dressing room. I took my time in the store, as I was with some friends, and then told them I would go ahead and check out while they were finishing up in the dressing room. None of them purchased anything. The shoes rang up as their original sale price. As I usually do, I casually asked the sales associate about the difference in the prices. The past few times I've done this, the cashier will apologize and change the price and I'm on my way. This time, however, the woman smirked at me and kept smiling and made a weird comment about how someone must've gone and changed the price back or something. Her smile was hard to describe, but seemed pretty superficial/skeptical. She also kept glancing and smiling strangely to the other associate who approached the desk. I had already pulled out my debit card to use without thinking - normally I use cash but I didn't want to seem even more suspicious by my method of payment right as I was about to swipe.

Anyways, between her weird comments and facial expressions, I could tell that she was definitely on to me. I read on one of these forums that Gap's policies about theft is to be courteous or overly polite or something bizarre like that unless they catch you red-handed? This kind of worried me because that seemed like what the lady was doing. Does anyone know any more details about their loss prevention policies or secruity cameras and such? Like I mentioned, I did the tag switch in the dressing room so I don't think they would have a tape of that, and I could always blame it on a sales associate or previous shopper, but I did go back and forth from the dressing room a few times for the other 2 items I bought and I don't know if they could trace those stickers. Most of the issues I have read about this are only for people who switch the actual tag, not a price sticker, and also got caught so they did not actually walk away with the item.

Long story short, is there any way they can use my debit card info and follow up on me based on this woman's very obvious suspicions? How long would it take if I were to hear something? And what is the worst punishment that could come about from it? I know what I did was wrong, and from the tremendous guilt and fear I'm feeling right now I can assure you all that this will not happen again. Any help would be much appreciated!

Default Re: Price Sticker Switch

anyone...?

Quote Quoting pmr99
    View Post
    anyone...?
    Keep doing this

No psychics here. Odds are nothing is going to happen, but you'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the input! I was just wondering if it's really even feasible for them to track me down, especially when they have no proof on video of me switching, only taking clothes to and from the dressing room. It could have easily been marked down by someone else. Also wondering if anyone knows the specific policy for these situations in Gap stores?

The short answer is yes, they can file a Police Report and you can very easily be tracked through a debit card. I know of a major retailer that does it all the time.

It sounds like your conscience (The awareness of a moral or ethical aspect to one's conduct together with the urge to prefer right over wrong) is really getting to you. Maybe you should stop switching price tags and you wouldn't have to worry about getting caught.. I know that this may be nothing to you now, because you have not been caught..but WHEN you do- you could suffer criminal charges. Is the difference between $9-10 really all that worth the bargain of creating a record for you?

They can catch you.

If they suspect you, they can watch security tapes closely. You walked into the fitting room carrying these items. These items are valued at X amount, but your receipt shows Y amount.

Stay out of the store for a few months.

And stop changing tags. It is the same as shoplifting.

Think about it:
    Pay 5.00 less on an item.
    You get caught.
    You get a Civil Demand from the store for atleast $150. Plus potential criminal charges, criminal record, possible attorney fees.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. And you're right, ivyfields, my conscience is really getting to me. Like I mentioned, I've done this before but for whatever reason it's really bothering me this time. Also, by reading about similar situations I've learned exactly how harsh the legal repercussions are and am realizing more and more how stupid doing this is. I've read that Gap can't do anything unless the manager sees a person concealing an item and then doesn't take their eyes off them as they leave the store. However, I haven't found anything on price swaps. If anyone has information on this or even their general policies I'd appreciate it. I realize that although unlikely, it is still possible for me to get a letter or a call from the cops or something for this incident and have been on edge ever since. I've learned my lesson.

Good for you. And remember, if a $9 difference is that important, you can always try haggling!

1. Sponsored Links