Default Parking on My Sidewalk Ticket

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: Texas

I live in Mckinney and was given a ticket for parking on the sidewalk that crosses my driveway. At the time I didn't know it was against the law and I understand why it was made into law. Here is my problem. Athoulgh I have a garage I can't fit even one vehicle in it because of bikes, wagons and other stuff for me and the kids that can't be kept outside. From the house to the sidewalk is 22 feet and my short bed truck is 21 ft and the mini van is't even a foot shorter. I need room for the kids to get there bikes out without me moving cars around. I can't park on the street because then I block my mailbox. The sidewalk law is part of the Texas Transportation code that was made into law in 1995 as part of the ADA requirements. The house was built before 1990. So my question is can I be grandfathered out of this law. There is no city code for this. I'm not the only house on my street with this problem either. One of my neighbors has had three guest ticketed for the same thing and he is a cop.

Default Re: Parking on My Sidewalk Ticket

The house was built before 1990. So my question is can I be grandfathered out of this law.
    Simple answer: no

I don't know the solution for your situation but your suggestion is definitely not it either. You choose what vehicles you drive. You choose what you put in your garage. If nothing else, do not leave the room in front of the garage such as you do for the children's access and move the vehicle when they do need access.

I know it is an inconvenience but your inconvenience does outweigh the law.

This may sounds like an odd suggestion but is there the possibility of moving your mailbox? If others have this same problem and moving your and their mailboxes would help, consider grouping several mailboxes in some location that would provide some relief to those people.

No I can't move the mailbox's. The ticket to me is kinda petty to me. For example parking spaces are required to be 18 ft. deep in all public parking lots. Fire lanes are required to be 25 here and in most places and we all know we can't park in a fire line. Yet, way more then half the vehicles do it without knowing it. That's right most all vehicles are more then 18 foot long and if a sidewalk is in front of the parking area then there must be a car stop placed in such a manor that the vehicle does not block the sidewalk. Well that forces the back of the vehicle into the firelane. Kinda a catch 22 wouldn't you say.

I thought the whole thing about my small drive was not normal so I started looking at it closer. Turnes out that i only have one neighbor to the left and his is the same. The sidewalk jogs out toward the street more then a foot after my house on all my neighbors to the right. There is no city ordinances on sidewalk placements. As long as there is a right of way the city can put a sidewalk on it. The neighborhood just to my north a block has no walks. I guess the city could go in at any time and put walks in there and causing the same problem I have. I'm all for the walks. I have kids and know its better to have walks but dang I just want to be able to park in my drive.

actually, I just dug up some stats yesterday and they claimed the average vehicle is 13 feet long currently.

ask the city if you can pay to have the walk moved out to match the walk where it is a foot further out like the neighbors a couple doors down.

1. Sponsored Links