Default How to Stop Child Support

My ex-girlfriend 6 years ago promised me that she would not seek child support from me because she was getting married and her new husband was going to care for them now she also told me that I would have no visitation. I agreed , at the time I was paying support through payroll deductions and then the deductions stopped. Now 5 years later they start up again and now I can't find her or any way to stop the deductions. What should be my next or first move?

Default Re: How to Stop Child Support

You can file a petition to set aside the income withholding order, and possibly for modification of support, with the court which issued the support order.

Did you go through the court when you reached your original agreement that you would not pay any more support?

She is in the state of North Carolina I am in the state of Maryland . We never went to court to start the payroll deductions so when they stopped I saw no need to further persue. It has been about 5 years since a deduction and now there has been deductions for about 2 months

The payroll deductions didn't start by themselves - somebody served an income withholding order, issued by a court, upon your employer. What court issued that order?

How do I find that out?

At some point, a child support order was entered. If you can figure out when and where that happened, it should be the same court as before. If you can't, consider asking your employer for a copy of the order.

1. Sponsored Links