Default How Do I Close My EDD Claim in California

Probably a very simple question, but who do I contact to close my unemployment claim file?

Also, can an employer contest my claim if it is closed?

Default Re: How Do I Close My EDD Claim in California

Why do you want to "close" it? Did you receive any benefits at all under the claim?

The former employer has no reason to contest your "closing" the claim; in fact, it would be to their advantage, or at least neutral.

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    Why do you want to "close" it? Did you receive any benefits at all under the claim?

The former employer has no reason to contest your "closing" the claim; in fact, it would be to their advantage, or at least neutral.
    Yes I received benefits, and an unemployment appeal found in my favor. But I've got back to work, and I'm scared my old employer will contest it again, and since I work a night shift it'll be hard for me to show up to court.

I don't even want them contesting it, I just want it closed.

Can they contest it even if it's closed?

Also, what are the odds of them contesting it if the unemployment appeal found in my favor?

All you need to do is stop sending in the bi-weekly form now that you are employed.

Contesting a claim has nothing to do with whether payments are still being made by EDD on the claim. If your old employer again contests the claim, you will need to make time to deal with it. Working a night shift is not a reason for not showing up in court. Some people working day shift say they can't take off work to appear -- all you need to do is adjust your sleep schedule for a day or two.

There are no "odds" on what a former employer will or will not do. That depends on the individuals involved, why they felt you didn't deserve unemployment, what they think their chances would be on farther appeal, and how much they feel like putting more time and effort into it. We couldn't possibly make any kind of guess.

I wouldn't bother. In fact, you want the claim to remain open (just inactive) so that if you DO need to file again within a year from the original date you opened it, you don't have to go through opening a new claim and requalifying. Besides "closing the claim" doesn't mean anything legally.

Since you work nights now, that is actually to your advantage should the employer appeal further (if they even have any rights to, how many appeals has this claim gone through?). You would be available during the day to attend the hearing and one day of interrupted sleep is workable. I've done it lots of times, and so have some of my friends who work nights.

We have no idea if the employer will continue the appeal process, but unless there was a matter of law involved, generally speaking, new information cannot be introduced in an appeal.

I honestly believe you're over-thinking this. They probably won't even bother.

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    I wouldn't bother. In fact, you want the claim to remain open (just inactive) so that if you DO need to file again within a year from the original date you opened it, you don't have to go through opening a new claim and requalifying. Besides "closing the claim" doesn't mean anything legally.

Since you work nights now, that is actually to your advantage should the employer appeal further (if they even have any rights to, how many appeals has this claim gone through?). You would be available during the day to attend the hearing and one day of interrupted sleep is workable. I've done it lots of times, and so have some of my friends who work nights.

We have no idea if the employer will continue the appeal process, but unless there was a matter of law involved, generally speaking, new information cannot be introduced in an appeal.

I honestly believe you're over-thinking this. They probably won't even bother.
    Okay, thanks. I won't close it then. I've been through one informal appeal. Can they contest it further?

At least once more, I'm sure. The letter you got affirming your benefits should have some verbiage about what appeal rights still remain for the losing party.

1. Sponsored Links