Default Possession of Alcohol Citation in Maryland, Under 21 but Over 18

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Maryland

At a concert at Merriweather three friends and I got cornered by five or six undercover police officers who demanded identification. We were sitting in front of my car with alcohol. When asking to see ID, they saw my fake and demanded that I give it to them. I did not and went to my car and clearly stated I was going to my car to get my ID when they stated I was going to be handcuffed and arrested for running from them, when I was clearly going to my car right there. They then confiscated my fake ID, which had my own name on it, and gave my friends and I citations for possession of alcohol under the age of 21. I am 19 years old and it said that I must appear in court and pay fines. The police officer said that the court would most likely lower the fines and that I would have to attend substance abuse classes. They said some schools offer them, and I saw that Towson does where I will be attending in the fall. Do I have to go to court or can I just go to the classes? I will not be starting school until August so will that be too late? They said that the citation will not be mailed until about six weeks. Also I do not want my parents to find out so I am trying to handle this on my own. Should I get a lawyer? They made me sign the citation while I was there saying I was guilty, but is that illegal to have you sign it after you have been drinking? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Possession of Alcohol Citation in Md for Under 21 but Over 18

I did not and went to my car and clearly stated I was going to my car to get my ID when they stated I was going to be handcuffed and arrested for running from them, when I was clearly going to my car right there.
    Possession of the fake ID is illegal. Using it to buy alcohol is illegal. And disobeying an officer of the peace is not the smartest thing you could do. When a cop tells you to do something, you do it. He had every right to take your illegal ID.

Do I have to go to court or can I just go to the classes?
    Yes, you must appear in court. Yes, you should speak with an attorney.
    They made me sign the citation while I was there saying I was guilty, but is that illegal to have you sign it after you have been drinking?
    No, it is not illegal to have you sign a statement that you've committed a crime when you're caught red-handed committing the crime.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Possession of Alcohol Citation in Md for Under 21 but Over 18

Quote Quoting leena2
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Maryland

At a concert at Merriweather three friends and I got cornered by five or six undercover police officers who demanded identification. We were sitting in front of my car with alcohol. When asking to see ID, they saw my fake and demanded that I give it to them. I did not and went to my car and clearly stated I was going to my car to get my ID when they stated I was going to be handcuffed and arrested for running from them, when I was clearly going to my car right there. They then confiscated my fake ID, which had my own name on it, and gave my friends and I citations for possession of alcohol under the age of 21. I am 19 years old and it said that I must appear in court and pay fines. The police officer said that the court would most likely lower the fines and that I would have to attend substance abuse classes. They said some schools offer them, and I saw that Towson does where I will be attending in the fall. Do I have to go to court or can I just go to the classes? I will not be starting school until August so will that be too late? They said that the citation will not be mailed until about six weeks. Also I do not want my parents to find out so I am trying to handle this on my own. Should I get a lawyer? They made me sign the citation while I was there saying I was guilty, but is that illegal to have you sign it after you have been drinking? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You will have to go to the Howard county Courthouse on the date the citation specifies. You will be lead to an office where you will be given the choice of pleading innocent and going to trial (you will lose) or guilty having the charges Nolle Prosequi (they'll drop the charges if you pay a fine & go to the classes). Most Maryland colleges have the classes offered on campus. Once you can show proof of completing the classes and send that proof to the courthouse, you will then have a chance to pay another fee to expunge the charge from your record.

Welcome to Howard County and Meriweather Post. Long story, but suffice it to say my daughter was cited 3 weeks before her 21st birthday despite blowing a 0.0. She was holding a beer for a (of age) friend who was going into the bathroom just before entering the gate. The police told her they watched the friend hand her the beer and were aware that she did not drink it, but she techincally in possession. She was stupid. She paid the price (and the fine by working extra shifts). Lesson learned. The concert stunk anyway.

1. Sponsored Links