Default What to Expect from a Fact-Finding Interview

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: Virginia

I just received a notice for a Telephone Fact-Finding Interview to be conducted by a Deputy in 8 weeks (which means my benefits have been cut off until the hearing)...

The issue has been raised of: whether or not you voluntarily quit your employment with good cause.

The deal is... I worked for a guy (temp agent) doing seasonal work over the holidays... the pay was $12 for 5hrs/3days a week, the commute was 3hrs and the it was $11.50 in tolls... but it was the holidays... he was a friend of a friend - I did it... the people I worked with were wonderful and sorry to see me go when the job ended...

When he came back with other work - it was sporadic information and when I asked for details he wouldn't get back to me - and it was basically the same gig anyway and I wasn't interested... I needed full time work, with benefits, etc...

Well, now he's told VA Unemp Comm that he "offered me work and I repeatedly turned it down"...

And here we are...

I guess I am looking for advice as to what to expect and how to prepare for the hearing... any guidance would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks...

Default Re: What to Expect from a Fact-Finding Interview

Your argument would be that it was not a "reasonable" offer. Your downside is going to be that you already did it once.

PattyPA - thanks very much for your response and input... you have a good point, it wasn't a reasonable offer... and doing it once could be a downside, but it took doing it to realize it wasn't a good fit to do again, much less long term...

I am trying not to get worked up/consumed by this... its hard though...

If you, or anyone, knows what to expect on these calls... how they go... short, to the point or long and detailed... anything... I would greatly appreciate it...

Diane

They're usually pretty short. I would use that argument, as well. I tried it, but found out it was not a "reasonable offer" for your education and experience or whatever.

Stick only to the questions asked and don't volunteer much.

Thanks so much Patty... I appreciate your good advice... I will let you know how all this works out...

PattyPA... had my "hearing" this morning... WOW... I never saw this coming.. it was terrible.

I answered the phone "This is Diane".. the Deputy said "I understand you quit working for XXX Company..." BAM! she just snapped and bit my head off... totally a "guilty until proven innocent" situation...

I told her - that was absolutely NOT true, that the company had never formally offered me any work - ever.. and that when I pressed for details he would not respond.. I told her that I needed full-time work and that his sporadic opportunities were not conducive to what I was looking for. Further to the point, (and this is key) that he was offering me opportunities outside my Labor Market Area (LMA).. they can't do that... the is VA and they want Virginians to work in Virginia... not DC, MD, PA...

The guy I was working for was on the call too - he told her that "a job is a job" and why should I be turning anything down... which is a point she didn't let me speak to...

Anyway.. I said what I could, but to be honest, she wasn't hearing much of it.. the call lasted 7, yes, 7 minutes... and at the end - she said that she would file her report.. period.. no "is there anything further you would like to add.."

Well, the call ended a couple hours ago and I am still wound up so I apologize for the rant... I will let you know the outcome...

You may have had just bad luck and Diane may have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

The agencies all over the country are having more and more appeals and maybe you were just the person it got taken out on this time.

Good luck.

1. Sponsored Links