Unhappy Alternating New Information to Current Registration

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: California
    I will try to be as straight forward as possible.
    My car was registered under a different address than the one I currently reside.
    I went ahead and made an address update with the DMV. The DMV did not issue me a new card with current information. I needed the new card ASAP, so I made a scanned copy of my current registration replacing the old address with the new. The copy looks exactly the same as my old registration except the address. I figured this will be okay to do, since the DMV states
    4454(a) "Registration card, shall maintain the same or a facsimile copy thereof with the vehicle for which issued." End Quote.
    There is no misleading information. The registration is current and not expired, the car is in fact registered to me, and the address is updated with the DMV, so if the vin, plate, or anything on the card is ran through the computer it should come back with my current address. Unless of course that specific card is somehow linked to the old address.
    My main concern is that everything about this just seams very illegal, but at the same time not.
    After doing some research I came across this site:http://law.onecle.com/california/vehicle/4463.html
    (a) A person who, with intent to prejudice, damage, or
    defraud, commits any of the following acts is guilty of a felony and
    upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the
    state prison for 16 months or two or three years, or by imprisonment
    in a county jail for not more than one year:
    (1) Alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies a certificate of
    ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate,
    device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit
    provided for by this code or a comparable certificate of ownership,
    registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device
    comparable to that issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or
    permit provided for by a foreign jurisdiction, or alters, forges,
    counterfeits, or falsifies the document, device, or plate with intent
    to represent it as issued by the department, or alters, forges,
    counterfeits, or falsifies with fraudulent intent an endorsement of
    transfer on a certificate of ownership or other document evidencing
    ownership, or with fraudulent intent displays or causes or permits to
    be displayed or have in his or her possession a blank, incomplete,
    canceled, suspended, revoked, altered, forged, counterfeit, or false
    certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license,
    license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate,
    or permit.
    After reading that, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I already turned in my scanned copy for records at the place which requested it. I am so paranoid right now. I never broken any laws, not even a speeding ticket. After reading the section above, it seams serious. But the more I read it the more loopholes I see in it. They say registration card, but don't specify what registration card, also they say with fraudulent intent. My intents were not fraudulent, nor was it to provide with false misleading information.

Default Re: Alternating New Information to Current Registration

Why not go to the DMV and request a duplicate copy of your registration card?

Also, and rather than copy/paste/cover up the old address with the new address, you could have simply hand written the new address next to the old address on the registration card. That way it is not "altered", AND it still shows your updated information.

Default Re: Alternating New Information to Current Registration

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    Why not go to the DMV and request a duplicate copy of your registration card?

Also, and rather than copy/paste/cover up the old address with the new address, you could have simply hand written the new address next to the old address on the registration card. That way it is not "altered", AND it still shows your updated information.
    Thanks for the reply, I am just that kind of person where I have to do everything perfect, if it does not look right I will make it look right. In this case, I would not be able to sleep knowing I have a hand written address on my registration card. I guess its a bit of a compulsive thing. Another reason why I could not just hand written the address is because it would not be good enough for the place I had to give it to.
    So how bad is it? Does the DMV keep an exact copy of your registration all the time, and discard it after you renew your registration? I am so worried right now, please help.

also I been seeing your posts around the forum, you seam to know a lot about the law. I did request a duplicate copy at the DMV, just did not receive it in time. Is the duplicate copy, exactly the same or will it show up with my updated address. The only thing I can think of that would be different is that red number at the bottom right corner of the registration, does that link to my old address in any way?

1. Sponsored Links