Question Moving In With a Roommate While Collecting SSI

Question 1- I recieve SSI. I would like to find a roommate and move in with that person. I can not afford my own apt anymore. I want to do everything legaly. I am worried because I was told that I can not do this without the other person showing thier income - which I believe to be a personal (odd) request to ask of someone. aside from that I was told that SSI is welfare. Please help me I am so lost. I just thought a lease agreement would be sufficient enough. That is what I planned on doing.

Question- 2 My friend is on SSI and her son and daughter are not. Her son is 19 and wrks full time, her daughter is 18 and plans on attending a trade school soon. On count of this situation can her bennifets be reduced.

Default Re: Moving In With a Roommate While Collecting SSI

Read this - it covers various living arrangements and how they may affect SSI.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Read this - it covers various living arrangements and how they may affect SSI.
    Thank you very much for your fast responce. I did read the site you gave me.
    I would like to know - how am I suppose to prove that I am paying to live there? A lease or written agreement? reciepts?
    I just was told SSI was welfare. I was upset with what I heard. I became disabled due to PTS before I was able to work. How does that allow the Gov to put me in that catagory? The man I spoke to from SSA was so rude and digrading towards me. It was awful. Thank you again for your help. I look foward to your next responce. (:

Well, it's a word with negative connotations for sure, but it is an accurate description of a program that pays money to disabled people who have limited income and limited assets. If you have too much money, you can't get SSI, no matter how disabled you are. Any other money you get affects the amount of SSI. Call it a safety net. Call it public assistance. Call it needs based assistance. There are other even more negative words that I wouldn't use here. I know SSI serves a vital purpose to help the neediest in our society; those who cannot work and have no way of supporting themselves. It is a good program. Flawed, but good.

SSDI requires work activity and payment of FICA taxes. Private disability requires payment of premiums. SSI doesn't require any kind of contribution from any one person in order to qualify. The money comes from general tax revenues and many of the people who pay those taxes cannot qualify for SSI because they have too much savings/income/assets.

You should show the local office your rental agreement if you are on the lease. Otherwise, there is a form, an SSA-8011 that would need to be completed by your roommate. It asks for the full amount of rent, gas, electricity, water, sewer, garbage, and food if you split that with the roommate. Your roommate will be asked how much you pay toward those bills. Those numbers will be totalled and divided by the number of people in the home, adults, children. As long as you are paying your share of THOSE expenses, you are considered to be 'sharing' and not receiving in-kind support and maintenance.

If you have money left over, you can also pay for your phone, cable TV, insurance, etc. but not paying your share of food and shelter will affect SSI.

Thank you so much for your time. That helped a lot!

1. Sponsored Links