Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Collections By Old Landlord in New York, Rent Stopped Due To Violations

The New York, Section 8 office terminated my landlords contract, stopped payments and granted me a transfer voucher due to my landlords violations of contract in 2005. Section 8 sent LL on several occasions 30 day notices requesting to make repairs otherwise contract and payments will be terminated. After numerous letters from Section 8 and letters from my self requesting repairs that were sent via certified mail, Section 8 eventually stopped payments, terminated contract and issued me a transfer voucher. I am a single working full time mother of three children and had a difficult time locating an apartment, therefore unfortunately it took me three months to locate an apartment. I paid (my portion) of rent for one month after Section 8 terminated; than stopped payments. I stopped paying my portion; since our utilities (light&gas) was included in our rent and the landlord had them turned off! We had to stay in my moms studio apartment for a week. I reported the turn off to HUD and they came out and ordered the LL to turn on. LL did after a week, during that week all my food spoiled. This is when I stopped my portion of the payments; during the remaining 2 months I endured harassment by the landlord, I even had to call police after one of the family members threw a rock at the window and than try to claim I broke it. Last year I received a letter from a credit collection agency stating that I owe. I disputed this with the credit collection agency and requesting verification. They sent me a letter from the landlord listing full amounts for the three months of rent, plus interest and late fees, although I have proof (bank receipt of check) that my portion of one of those months are paid. I responded to their form of verification with copies of my certified letters, and Section 8 notifications. They started investigation, and within thirty days they sent me a letter stating to pay. I ordered a copy of my credit report and found it listed on all three reports as disputed. I than sent (via certified mail) copies of the letters from me and section 8 to all credit bureaus; they noted the account as verified. I don't believe I am responsible for full amounts of unpaid rent, perhaps just my portion. LL violated the contract with Section 8, even Section 8 worker had informed me to save my money to move. Nonetheless, I contacted Section 8 and they said they can't get involved. Is there any way to fight back?

Default Re: NY Section 8 stopped payments due to LL Violations -Who's responsible?

That's confusing, based not the least upon your mixing various lines of thought within a single block of text. Try using paragraphs, and not using "they" in contexts which make it difficult to impossible for us to figure out which person you mean.

Is who responsible for what?

Default Re: NY Section 8 stopped payments due to LL Violations -Who's responsible?

Thanks for your reply, that was my first time posting. I didn't know that I could use lots of line space. Please see below edited version.

The New York, Section 8 office terminated my former LL (landlord) contract, stopped payments and granted me a transfer voucher due to my landlords violations of contract in 2005.

Section 8 sent LL (on several occasions) 30 day notices requesting to make repairs otherwise contract and payments will be terminated. After numerous letters from Section 8 and letters from my self requesting repairs that were sent via certified mail, Section 8 eventually stopped payments, terminated contract and issued me a transfer voucher.

I am a single working full time mother of three children and had a difficult time locating an apartment, therefore unfortunately took three months to locate an apartment.

I paid (my portion) of rent for one month after Section 8 terminated; than stopped payments. I stopped paying my portion; since our utilities (light&gas) was included in our rent and the LL had them turned off! We had to stay in my moms studio apartment for a week. I reported the turn off to HUD and they came out and ordered the LL to turn on. LL did after a week, during that week all my food spoiled. This is when I stopped my portion of the payments; during the remaining 2 months I endured harassment by the LL, I even had to call police after one of the family members threw a rock at the window and than try to claim I broke it.

Last year I received a letter from a credit collection agency stating that I owe. I disputed this with the credit collection agency and requesting verification. The credit collection agency sent me a letter from the LL listing the full amounts for the three months of rent, plus interest and late fees. Although I have proof (bank receipt of check) that my portion of one of those months are paid. I responded to credit collections agency form of verification with copies of my certified letters, and Section 8 notifications. Credit Collection agency started investigation, and within thirty days CCA sent me a letter stating to pay.

I ordered a copy of my credit report and found it listed on all three reports as disputed. I than sent (via certified mail) copies of the letters from me and section 8 to all credit bureaus; the credit bureaus noted the account as verified. I don't believe I am responsible for full amounts of unpaid rent, perhaps just my portion, since the LL violated the contract with Section 8.

I contacted Section 8 and they said they can't get involved.

My question: I'm I responsible for Section 8 portion of the payments? If not, how could I get this off my credit report.

panther10758 Guest

Quote Quoting Anonymousquestion
    View Post
    Thanks for your reply, that was my first time posting. I didn't know that I could use lots of line space. Please see below edited version.

The New York, Section 8 office terminated my former LL (landlord) contract, stopped payments and granted me a transfer voucher due to my landlords violations of contract in 2005. Did you give notice that you were moving. That woud be wise decison since Housing was no longer going to pay their portion

Section 8 sent LL (on several occasions) 30 day notices requesting to make repairs otherwise contract and payments will be terminated. After numerous letters from Section 8 and letters from my self requesting repairs that were sent via certified mail, Section 8 eventually stopped payments, terminated contract and issued me a transfer voucher. When you were aware that payments were stopping you should have gave notice

I am a single working full time mother of three children and had a difficult time locating an apartment, therefore unfortunately took three months to locate an apartment. Sadly that is your problem and no one elses sorry

I paid (my portion) of rent for one month after Section 8 terminated; than stopped payments. I stopped paying my portion; since our utilities (light&gas) was included in our rent and the LL had them turned off! We had to stay in my moms studio apartment for a week. I reported the turn off to HUD and they came out and ordered the LL to turn on. LL did after a week, during that week all my food spoiled. This is when I stopped my portion of the payments; during the remaining 2 months I endured harassment by the LL, I even had to call police after one of the family members threw a rock at the window and than try to claim I broke it. You were still in th ehome and thus required to pay rent

Last year I received a letter from a credit collection agency stating that I owe. I disputed this with the credit collection agency and requesting verification. The credit collection agency sent me a letter from the LL listing the full amounts for the three months of rent, plus interest and late fees. Although I have proof (bank receipt of check) that my portion of one of those months are paid. I responded to credit collections agency form of verification with copies of my certified letters, and Section 8 notifications. Credit Collection agency started investigation, and within thirty days CCA sent me a letter stating to pay.

I ordered a copy of my credit report and found it listed on all three reports as disputed. I than sent (via certified mail) copies of the letters from me and section 8 to all credit bureaus; the credit bureaus noted the account as verified. I don't believe I am responsible for full amounts of unpaid rent, perhaps just my portion, since the LL violated the contract with Section 8.

I contacted Section 8 and they said they can't get involved. Why should they they took all th eproper actions

My question: I'm I responsible for Section 8 portion of the payments? If not, how could I get this off my credit report.
    You are responsible for rent while living in dwelling its that simple and yes that means housings portion also

panther10758 Guest

another thought. I am unsure on how it works in your State but here if you donot find another home within certain period of time you will lose your Section 8

The New York, Section 8 office terminated my former LL (landlord) contract, stopped payments and granted me a transfer voucher due to my landlords violations of contract in 2005. Did you give notice that you were moving. That woud be wise decison since Housing was no longer going to pay their portion YES, AFTER SEC8 ISSUED SEVERAL LTRS > VIA CERTIFIED MAIL

Section 8 sent LL (on several occasions) 30 day notices requesting to make repairs otherwise contract and payments will be terminated. After numerous letters from Section 8 and letters from my self requesting repairs that were sent via certified mail, Section 8 eventually stopped payments, terminated contract and issued me a transfer voucher. When you were aware that payments were stopping you should have gave notice < I DID (SEE ABOVE)

I am a single working full time mother of three children and had a difficult time locating an apartment, therefore unfortunately took three months to locate an apartment. Sadly that is your problem and no one elses sorry (MY PROB, BUT...LL BROKE CONTRACT KNOWING FULL WELL WHAT THE TERMS WERE)

I paid (my portion) of rent for one month after Section 8 terminated; than stopped payments. I stopped paying my portion; since our utilities (light&gas) was included in our rent and the LL had them turned off! We had to stay in my moms studio apartment for a week. I reported the turn off to HUD and they came out and ordered the LL to turn on. LL did after a week, during that week all my food spoiled. This is when I stopped my portion of the payments; during the remaining 2 months I endured harassment by the LL, I even had to call police after one of the family members threw a rock at the window and than try to claim I broke it. You were still in th ehome and thus required to pay rent (MY PORTION ? OR SHOULD I ASSUME SECTION 8 PORTION AS WELL)

Last year I received a letter from a credit collection agency stating that I owe. I disputed this with the credit collection agency and requesting verification. The credit collection agency sent me a letter from the LL listing the full amounts for the three months of rent, plus interest and late fees. Although I have proof (bank receipt of check) that my portion of one of those months are paid. I responded to credit collections agency form of verification with copies of my certified letters, and Section 8 notifications. Credit Collection agency started investigation, and within thirty days CCA sent me a letter stating to pay. ?

I contacted Section 8 and they said they can't get involved. Why should they they took all th eproper actions (SEC 8 STOPPED PAYMENTS)

My question: I'm I responsible for Section 8 portion of the payments? If not, how could I get this off my credit report. ?

panther10758 Guest

If you are still in home then yes you ar responsible for rent all of it! You gave notice then you also told Housing of notice. This means you have (if similar to CA) a certain amount of time to find new place or lose housing! I know its not what you want to hear but to my knowledge ( I deal with housing myself in CA) that is how I precieve it works

It took 3 months to find an apartment, but for 2 of those months went unpaid after sending LL warning letters and notices all via certified mail.

Its unfair that I would pay Section 8 portion since LL broke agreement with S8 knowing full well that payments will be stopped. I would've never had to move because of this, and replace all food that was spoiled due to LL retaliation. This is New York City, Section 8 gives you 6 months to find an apartment.

panther10758 Guest

Ok 6 mos is good. You still have rent problem your living in the home! That means rent is due (unfair as it might seem). You can do repiars yourself and deduct it from rent. Unfair as it might seem if you fail to pay rent LL can evict you! You need to consult with an Attorney who works in this type of dispute as you have much to lose

Red face Re: NY Section 8 stopped payments due to LL Violations -Who's responsible?

There was no way to make repairs and than deduct from the rent. I wish they were minor...trust me I would've repaired. The repairs that needed to be done was MORE than one months rent...in addition to the utilities (elec,gas,lights) which was incl. being turned off. harrassment was unbarable, believe me I wanted OUT after that experience ...I was on "Section 8" for a reason (low income)...but I got your point

Also, LL never evicted me, I left as soon as I found an apartment.

Would you happen to know what amount is acceptable for late and interest fees...LL added an extra $2500.

thanks again.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast